[visionlist] Summer Research Training for Undergraduates: NSF REU at Rice University

Pat DeLucia Pat.DeLucia at rice.edu
Fri Oct 6 21:09:54 -04 2023

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9F890.EDCF38A0]<http://rice.edu/>

Dear Colleagues,

We are excited to announce a new research training program for undergraduates, funded by the National Science Foundation, REU Site: Translating Research in Psychological Sciences to the Real World. The program starts on June 3, 2024, and lasts for 8 weeks.

We are writing to ask you to help us recruit undergraduates for this program. We especially want to recruit females, underrepresented minorities, first-generation college students, people with disabilities and individuals who are at schools with limited research opportunities. Candidates must have junior or senior standing when the REU Site starts, be in good academic standing, and have a GPA of at least 3.3.

The REU program targets undergraduates with interests or majors in psychological and social sciences, neuroscience, behavioral health science, engineering, computer science, math, kinesiology, and biomechanics. All students who are interested in research and who plan to go to graduate school are encouraged to apply.

Undergraduates will work closely with a faculty member at Rice University on behavioral research that has clear applications to real-world problems. Examples of topics include: aging, cybersecurity, driving, education and training, election integrity, emotional regulation in caregivers, employee resilience, future of work, health care and patient safety, health psychology, hiring decisions, human-AI collaboration, human-computer interaction, memory in people with and without illness, leadership, multisensory integration in collision avoidance, physiological impacts of spousal bereavement, teamwork, usability, and workplace discrimination. Training includes professional development seminars, graduate school preparation, and a special presentation by a successful alumnus now working in industry. The grant will pay for student lodging, meals and travel, and a $4800 stipend.

Our website has details about the program and how to apply: http://pd28.blogs.rice.edu/
A flyer that can be posted is attached to this email.

We hope that you will help us recruit undergraduates to our program by disseminating this information to your colleagues and students.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Patricia R. DeLucia, Ph.D. (Principle Investigator) Professor, Department of Psychology

Associate Dean for Research, School of Social Sciences

Rice University