[visionlist] PhD program ad: University of Houston/Psychology/DCBN Integrative Program

Benjamin Tamber-Rosenau bjtrbjtr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:39:59 -04 2023

Could the following advertisement for our graduate program be circulated
please? Apologies to those getting multiple copies.

Along with many of my colleagues, I plan to review graduate applications
this year. I am particularly interested in applicants interested in
projects related to working memory.

Despite the name of our program, we are interested in both students who
want to pursue cognitive psychology using behavioral methods and students
interested in neuroscience approaches.

Thank you,
Benjamin Tamber-Rosenau
University of Houston

--------------------

The University of Houston's Department of Psychology is accepting Ph.D.
applications for the Integrative Program in Developmental, Cognitive, &
Behavioral Neuroscience (DCBN). Applications for the 2024-25 academic term
are due December 15th, 2023
<https://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/dcbn/admissions/>.

The DCBN program boasts 11 faculty members
<https://www.uh.edu/class/psychology/dcbn/Faculty/>, fostering a diverse
and interactive academic environment. Research interests cover the lifespan
and employ human, animal, and computational approaches. Most students
specialize in 1-2 of the following areas: Development, Cognition, Cognitive
Neuroscience, or Behavioral Neuroscience, though all students are exposed
to scholarship across all these areas. Faculty also overlap with the Texas
Institute for Measurement, Evaluation, and Statistics
<https://www2.times.uh.edu/> as well as the newly established Texas Center
for Learning Disorders <https://www.uh.edu/uh-research/tcld/>.

The Program - broad and innovative research techniques

Research at DCBN leverages state of the art methods in human research
including genetic sequencing and analysis, MRI/fMRI, fNIRS, EEG, tES, eye
tracking, wireless wearable sensors, and cutting-edge computational and
statistical methods. Animal research techniques include, but are not
limited to, CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing, single cell RNA-sequencing, and
confocal and epifluorescence microscopy in collaboration with the UH
Sequencing and Editing Core as well as the Biology Imaging Core. DCBN is
part of a rich landscape of collaborations within the University (Hewlett
Packard Enterprise Data Science Institute, Biology, Engineering, Biomedical
Engineering, Computer Science, Ophthalmology, Health and Human Performance,
Architecture) and with the Texas Medical Center (the largest medical
complex in the world).

The Department - a history of excellence

Among Psychology Departments receiving funding from the National Institutes
of Health, the University of Houston’s Department of Psychology ranks #2 in
number of active awards and #9 in the total funding of active awards.
Graduate students in the Department have received the highest number of F31
awards since 2017, more than any other Psychology Department. The
Department also offers financial support through Research Assistantships
and Teaching Fellowships, which cover tuition and fees and provide a
stipend. Over the past 10 years, 70% of DCBN PhD graduates have gone on to
postdocs or academic positions, with all others gaining job placements in
industry or government.

The University - rapidly rising in prominence

The University of Houston, an R1 institution, is nationally known for its
diverse student body and faculty, academic excellence, and substantial
investment in research infrastructure. On November 7, 2023, Texas voters
passed a measure to establish a $1 billion endowment for the University
from the Texas University Fund. Reflecting its growing prestige, UH has
climbed from No. 91 to No. 70 in the 2024 U.S. News & World Report's
rankings of Top Public Universities and ascended 48 spots to No. 133
nationally. Moreover, it holds designations as both a Hispanic Serving
Institution and an Asian American, Native American, Pacific Islander
Serving Institution.

The City - a truly global city

Houston, Texas is the fourth largest city in the United States and is
renowned for its economic affordability. The city boasts a vibrant and
thriving cultural scene, with events, museums, and restaurants that reflect
its rich tapestry of diverse traditions and communities.