[visionlist] [Jobs] [Postdoc] Human Motor Neurophysiology - Italian Institute of Technology - Ferrara, Italy

Alessandro D'Ausilio alessandro.dausilio at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 04:28:13 -04 2023

*** Apologies for cross-posting ***

Human Motor Neurophysiology Post-doc position in Ferrara, Italy

We are looking for a highly motivated [well, who would want something different?!?] early career researcher to join us at the Italian Institute of Technology (Center for Translational Neurophysiology of Speech and Communication - CTNSC).

[here’s the part where I convince you the city is damn cool] The work location is Ferrara, a vibrant medium-sized city in northern Italy, strategically located to reach Bologna (40 min), Padua (50 min), Venice (1 Hr), or Milan (2 Hr). Ferrara is also a unique place to live, being a UNESCO World Heritage Renaissance city known as the Italian city of bicycles. The Emilia-Romagna region is world famous for its food, quality of life and public services, while the cost of living is quite reasonable. In addition, the laboratories and offices are housed in a wonderful building dating back to 1498 within the historic city walls.

[…with nice people too!] If that is not enough, you would be working in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team in which physicians, psychologists, biomedical engineers, computational scientists, physicists, chemists, and biologists collaborate, each with their own expertise, towards a shared vision. In fact, the CTNSC conducts translational neurophysiological research in Multiscale Sensorimotor Communication. Our goal is to develop a new understanding of how brains generate effective informational coupling, and when compromised by pathology, to devise new technologies for theranostic purposes.

https://www.iit.it/it/ctnsc-unife

We are offering a post-doc position for 1 year (renewable for up to 5Y on secured funds) with a highly competitive salary, in the area of Human Non-Invasive Motor Neurophysiology.

The ideal candidate has a PhD in biomedical engineering, neuroscience or experimental psychology with a strong quantitative background. Proven experience in motion capture, EEG or advanced signal processing is highly regarded. The winner, from day-1, will be involved in currently running projects (please see Refs below for some published examples). However, our goal will be to support and guide their smooth transition towards full scientific independence, according to a 5-years plan [these are not the usual empty words, we really believe in them].

[Here’s the long list of expensive equipment – I’m sure I have forgotten something] The winner will be an active member of a well-funded group, with exclusive access to state-of-the-art laboratories and facilities.
•    Motion Capture Lab (3x Qualisys cameras; 10x Vicon cameras; NDI Wave; 2x AMTI platforms; various ATI F/T sensors and IMUs; EyeLink 1000 Plus; 2x Pupil Invisible);
•    Brain Stimulation Lab (2x Magstim BiStim TMS; 2x Magstim Super Rapid2 TMS; Digitimer DS7AH; 2x Digitimer DS5; CED Micro; 2x CED Power; 2x 8-Chs Cometa wireless EMG; 2x 8-Chs Starstim systems for tDCS, tACS, tRNS, + EEG);
•    EEG Lab (64-Chs ActiCap + BrainAmp MR-plus; 2x 64+8Aux-Chs BrainAmp ActiChamp Plus; 2x 8-Chs Enobio wireless EEG; 8-Chs Digitimer D360 EMG; 2x National Instruments DAQ USB-6289; VIEWPixx/EEG screen; DATAPixx Fiber-optic video I/O hub)
•    Mechanical Lab; Electronic Lab; Local Computational Hub with 3x high-performance servers (1x optimised for serial tasks; 2x optimised for parallel tasks with multiple GPUs)
N.B. The CTNSC has running collaborations or outposts to conduct research in clinical populations in the areas of neurosurgery (Udine Hospital, Ferrara Hospital), neurology (S. Lucia Rehabilitation Hospital in Rome, Gaslini Pediatric Hospital in Genoa, and Rehabilitation Unit of Ferrara Hospital) and psychiatry (Ferrara Hospital).

Recent representative publications
•    Nazzaro et al., (2023) The microstructure of intra- and interpersonal coordination. P Roy Soc B-Biol Sci, 290(2011), 20231576.
•    Casarotto et al., (2023) Mechanisms of Hebbian-like plasticity in the ventral premotor – primary motor network. J Physiol (London), 601(1), 211-226.
•    Pastore et al., (2022) Speech listening entails neural encoding of invisible articulatory features. Neuroimage, 264, 119724.
•    Tomassini et al., (2022) Interpersonal synchronization of movement intermittency. iScience, 25(4), 104096.
•    Cardellicchio, et al., (2021) The role of dorsal premotor cortex in joint action stopping. iScience, 24 (11), 103330.
•    Emanuele et al., (2021) Motor synergies: Evidence for a novel motor signature in autism spectrum disorder. Cognition, 213, 104652.
•    Tomassini et al., (2020) Visual detection is locked to the internal dynamics of cortico-motor control. PLoS Biol, 18(10):e3000898.
•    Hilt et al., (2020) Motor recruitment during action observation: effect of interindividual differences in action strategy. Cereb Cortex, 30(7), 3910–3920.

For inquiries please contact:
Prof. Alessandro D’Ausilio
alessandro.dausilio at iit.it <mailto:alessandro.dausilio at iit.it>