[visionlist] Nencki Open Lab Optics and Microscopy Workshop - May 10-12th, Goniądz, Poland

Mateusz Kostecki m.kostecki at nencki.edu.pl
Mon Mar 11 14:11:19 -04 2024

Dear Colleagues,

We are happy to announce the third edition of our Optics and Microscopy
Workshop! This time we will meeting one of the most beautiful places in
Poland – Biebrza marshes!

The workshop will be a *thorough, hands – on introduction to optics and
microscopy*. With our instructor, Fred Marbach from Crick Institute, we
will start from absolute basics – *photons, ray diagrams and lenses*; then
move to building simple optical system, just to *end up building DIY
bright-field and fluorescent microscopes.* We will image neurons
(hopefully!), and understand every last bit of how that image came to be
(this is a certainty!).

During the workshop you will build an intuition for optics, allowing you to
reason about optical systems found in the lab (and in publications): you
will understand the equipment you are using on a much deeper level.

Workshop will take place *May 10-12th in Goniądz*, in Dwór Bartla,
overlooking the beautiful Biebrza river, which at this time of the year
provides great opportunities for birdwatching. The deadline for
registration is April 5th,* the cost of the workshop is EUR 250 (but we
provide fee waivers if needed)*. The cost includes the r*egistration fee,
accommodation, breakfast and lunch.* Please find the registration form and
more info here -
https://nenckiopenlab.org/optics-and-microscopy-workshop-2024/

Best!
NOL Team