[visionlist] Postdoc Position: Epstein Lab, University of Pennsylvania

Russell Epstein rae at sas.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 15 11:32:09 -04 2024

*Postdoctoral Position: Spatial and nonspatial cognitive maps in the human
brain*

A postdoctoral position is available in the Epstein Lab in the Department
of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA, USA).
The position will be supported from an NIH-funded project investigating the
neural basis of spatial and nonspatial cognitive maps in humans. We wish to
understand how cognitive maps are learned, how they are organized in
memory, and how they are used to guide intelligent behavior during spatial
navigation and other cognitive tasks. We are looking for an early-career
scientist who will bring creative ideas of their own that fit under this
general umbrella.

The studies will primarily involve cognitive behavioral testing and
functional imaging (fMRI) on adult humans, though there may be
opportunities to use electrocorticography data as well. Candidates are
encouraged to look at the publications page of our lab website (
www.psych.upenn.edu/epsteinlab/) to get a sense for our recent intellectual
directions. The projects may involve collaboration with Prof. Nora
Newcombe’s spatial cognition lab at Temple University (
https://sites.temple.edu/risc/) and Prof. Michael Kahana’s computational
memory lab (https://memory.psych.upenn.edu/).

The ideal candidate would have some combination of: (i) experience with
fMRI or other cognitive neuroscience methods; (ii) strong computational and
statistical skills; (iii) deep interest in spatial navigation, spatial
memory, and/or the neural basis of cognition. However, candidates lacking
some of these desiderata will be considered if the intellectual fit is
otherwise strong. An established track record of research productivity is
essential, as is a proclivity for independent thought.

The University of Pennsylvania has excellent facilities for cognitive
neuroscience research. The Center for Functional Neuroimaging (
www.cfn.upenn.edu) provides comprehensive technical support for fMRI
acquisition and analysis using several state-of-the-art research-dedicated
3T and 7T Siemens scanners. Our lab is part of the Penn Brain Sciences
Center (https://pennbrain.upenn.edu/) which is a lively, friendly,
collaborative environment that is co-located with the Department of
Psychology and the Computational Neuroscience Initiative (www.cni.upenn.edu).
Philadelphia is a culturally vibrant, walkable, affordable city that has
become one of best places to live on the East Coast. Penn has recently
enhanced postdoctoral salaries and benefits to competitive levels above NIH
standard rates.

To apply, send the following documents to Russell Epstein (
epstein at psych.upenn.edu): (1) a brief cover letter describing you
qualifications, research interests, and why this position is right for you;
(2) CV; (3) pdfs of recent publications; (4) names and contact information
for 3 references.

The University of Pennsylvania is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.