[visionlist] [CfP] [CVPR 2024] SMART-101 Algorithmic Reasoning Challenge

Anoop Cherian anoop.cherian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 22:26:20 -04 2024

Multimodal Algorithmic Reasoning - SMART-101 Challenge

Held in conjunction with Multimodal Algorithmic Reasoning Workshop at CVPR
2024

https://marworkshop.github.io/cvpr24/index.html

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

In the last couple of years, we have seen dramatic improvements in the
reasoning abilities of multimodal and large language models.  In this CVPR
2024 challenge, we attempt to understand these abilities of such large deep
models on basic mathematical and algorithmic problem solving through
solving visuo-linguistic puzzles that even young children can solve without
much difficulty. A thorough empirical analysis of such abilities of
multimodal LLMs is the premise of our paper titled Are Deep Neural Networks
SMARTer than Second Graders? <https://arxiv.org/pdf/2212.09993.pdf> This
paper introduces the Simple Multimodal Algorithmic Reasoning Task (SMART)
and the SMART-101 dataset. Building upon the efforts in the paper, this
SMART-101 CVPR-2024 challenge is an attempt at bringing research interest
into this important topic to understand where we stand in the race towards
achieving true Artificial General Intelligence (AGI). Specifically, the
goals of this competition are three-fold, towards understanding:

(i) how well do state-of-the-art multimodal LLMs abstract data, attend to
key details, and generalize their knowledge to solve new problems?

(ii) how fluid are they in acquiring new skills? and

(iii) how effective are they in the use of language for visual reasoning?

Through the state-of-the-art AI models submitted by the participants of
this challenge, we hope to learn where we stand in real AGI abilities, and
more importantly, clearly answer if the current AI is at least better than
second graders in mathematical/algorithmic abilities!

The SMART challenge involves solving visuo-linguistic puzzles designed
specifically for children in the 6–8 age group. The puzzles are taken from
the Math Kangaroo Olympiad -- a popular international children's Olympiad
that uses a multiple choice answer selection format. Most of the puzzles
have an image and a text question, and five answer options of which only
one option is the correct answer to the puzzle. Participant submissions to
the challenge will be evaluated against a private test set. The solution to
each puzzle needs a mix of various basic mathematical and algorithmic
reasoning skills, involving basic arithmetic, algebra, spatial reasoning,
logical reasoning, measuring, path tracing, pattern matching, and counting.

IMPORTANT DATES

* SMART-101 Challenge Track

Challenge open: March 28, 2024

Submission deadline: ***June 7, 2024***

Arxiv paper submission deadline: June 7, 2024

Public winner announcement: June 17, 2024

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE SMART-101 CHALLENGE

* The challenge is hosted on Eval.AI. Please read the instructions at the
following link for the submission guidelines:
https://eval.ai/web/challenges/challenge-page/2247/overview

* The challenge participants are required to make arXiv submissions
detailing their approach as well as make their implementation publicly
available on Github to be considered for the prizes. Note that the
participant’s arXiv submissions will not be part of the workshop
proceedings.

* Winners of the challenge are determined both by the performance on the
leaderboard over a private test set as well as the quality of the proposed
method (as detailed in their arXiv submission and reviewed by a panel).
Please see the details on the challenge website.

* Prizes will be awarded on the day of the workshop.

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

Anoop Cherian <http://users.cecs.anu.edu.au/~cherian/>, Mitsubishi Electric
Research Laboratories

Suhas Lohit <https://www.merl.com/people/slohit>, Mitsubishi Electric
Research Laboratories

Honglu Zhou <https://sites.google.com/view/hongluzhou/>, Salesforce Research

Moitreya Chatterjee
<https://marworkshop.github.io/cvpr24/organizer-details.html#Moitreya_Chatterjee>,
Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories

Kuan-Chuan Peng <https://www.merl.com/people/kpeng>, Mitsubishi Electric
Research Laboratories

Kevin A. Smith <http://www.mit.edu/~k2smith/>, Massachusetts Institute of
Technology