[visionlist] phiVis: Philosophy of Vision Science (VSS Satellite Event)

Chaz Firestone chaz at jhu.edu
Thu May 9 11:40:48 -04 2024

Dear colleagues,

I'm excited to announce (the fourth iteration of) a satellite event of
the annual meeting of the Vision Sciences Society: **phiVis –
Philosophy of Vision Science**.

Recent years have seen a resurgence of interest in the intersection
between vision science and the philosophy of perception. But
opportunities for conversation between vision scientists and
philosophers are still hard to come by. The phiVis workshop is a forum
for promoting and expanding this interdisciplinary dialogue.
Philosophers of perception can capitalize on the experimental knowledge
of working vision scientists, while vision scientists will have an
opportunity to connect their research to longstanding philosophical
questions. The workshop will feature short talks by philosophers of
perception that engage with the latest research in vision science,
followed by prepared comments by vision scientists, on topics such as
visual awareness, representational alignment, color vision, and more.

This year's event will take place on **Tuesday, May 21, from
12:30pm-2:30pm ET**, and will be held **onsite at VSS** (in the
Banyan/Citrus Room at the TradeWinds Island Grand Resort in St Pete
Beach, FL). The in-person event is open to VSS attendees; a limited
number of non-VSS-attendees may also attend virtually. The event will
feature the following talks:

**Ian Phillips (Johns Hopkins) | From Inattentional Blindness to
Blindsight: Why Degraded Awareness (Not Unconscious Perception) Should
Be Our Default Hypothesis**
with comments by Jeremy Wolfe (Harvard)

**Rosa Cao (Stanford) | Comparing Brains and Models: What Matters for
Similarity?**
with comments by Talia Konkle (Harvard)

**Tiina Rosenqvist (Dartmouth) | Seeing with Color: Psychophysics and
the Function of Color Vision**
with comments by Bevil Conway (NIH)

There will also be a more informal gathering at the Demo Night BBQ; find
our table there for wine and good company.

You can learn more about the phiVis workshop at our website
— [www.phivis.org](https://www.phivis.org/) — and also in the
attached flyer.

**Registration is free**, though we ask that you please formally sign up
to attend through our registration links: [in
person](https://www.phivis.org/events/phivis-4-philosophy-of-vision-science-workshop);
[virtual](https://www.phivis.org/events/phivis-4-online). These links
can also be found on the workshop's website.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Chaz Firestone
Kevin Lande
co-organizers, phiVis

--
Chaz Firestone
Associate Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences