[visionlist] Fully funded PhD student in visual cognition, eye movements, and attention, at Kansas State University

Lester Loschky loschky at ksu.edu
Mon Jul 15 09:00:00 -04 2024

Dear Colleagues,

Please share the information below for a fully funded PhD studentship in
visual cognition, eye movements, and attention at Kansas State University.
Our lab investigates how seeing affects thinking, and how thinking affects
seeing. We conduct both basic and applied research.

We have two options for commencing studies: either in January 2025, with an
application deadline of August 1, 2024, or in August 2025, with an
application deadline of December 1, 2024.

We are looking for applicants with prior studies in Psychological Science,
Computer Science, or related fields. We offer full funding for 5 years for
 a student with a BS or BA, or 4 years for one with an MS or MA.

A more detailed description is given below.

Thank you for sharing this information!

Best wishes,

Les Loschky
------------------------------

*PhD Student Opening to Study Visual Cognition & Attention at Kansas State
University*

The Visual Cognition Laboratory in the Department of Psychological Sciences
is seeking a PhD student to commence studies in either January or August
2025. We conduct cutting-edge research on how seeing affects thinking, and how
thinking affects seeing. If you are passionate about exploring these
questions and aspire to gain advanced knowledge and skills in this dynamic
field, we invite you to join our team!

*Description of Our Laboratory’s Research*

   - *Research Focus:* Our laboratory conducts both basic and applied
   interdisciplinary research in Visual Cognition & Attention. We explore how
   attention shapes people’s awareness, understanding, learning, and memory
   through real-time eye movement tracking. Additionally, we integrate machine
   learning and AI in our methodologies.
   - *Laboratory Credo:* We believe that excellent basic research inspires
   practical applications, and excellent applied research inspires theoretical
   implications.
   - *Current Applied Research:* Supported by a National Science Foundation
   grant, our current focus is on measuring and modeling students' attention
   during online learning. Using data from webcam-based eye movement measures,
   mouse movements, and keyboard input to train AI, we aim to enhance student
   engagement by enabling instructors to adapt their teaching strategies
   effectively.
   - *Current Basic Research:* Our pioneering research investigates how
   viewers’ understanding affects their visual attention. Using stimuli such
   as movie clips, we explore how comprehension influences eye movements,
   advancing our understanding of visual cognition and its implications for
   artificial intelligence (AI).
   - *Active Interdisciplinary Collaborations:* We collaborate globally
   with psychologists (studying eye movements, perception, and comprehension),
   computer scientists (using machine learning & computational modeling), and
   STEM education researchers (studying physics learning). We also collaborate
   with Kansas State faculty (using EEG, TMS, and fMRI). These collaborations,
   often leading to membership on PhD students' dissertation committees,
   expand our students' skills and professional network.

*Program Admission Requirements*

   - *Requirements:* Applicants should hold a BS, BA, MS, or MA in
   Psychological Science, Computer Science, or a related field.
   - *International Students:* TOEFL or IELTS scores required if English is
   not your native language.

*You’re Probably a Good Fit If*

   - You have prior research experience.
   - You possess programming skills (e.g., Python, MATLAB).
   - You have experience with eye tracking.
   - You are enthusiastic about studying high-level vision.

*How to Apply*

   - Visit Kansas State University's Psychological Sciences Graduate
   Application Portal for detailed application instructions. <
   https://www.k-state.edu/psych/academics/graduate/application/>

*Supervisor/Mentor*

   - *Supervisor:* Dr. Lester Loschky
   - *Contact Information:* Email: loschky at ksu.edu (Please copy and paste
   "Prospective PhD Student in Visual Cognition" as the email header)
   - *Psychological Sciences Department Contact:* Phone: 785-532-6852

*Start Dates*

   - *Enrollment Options & Deadlines:*
      - January 2025 (Application deadline: August 1, 2024)
      - August 2025 (Application deadline: December 1, 2024)

*Funding Level*

   - *Financial Support:* Five years of funding for students with BS/BA, or
   four years for those with an MS/MA. Funding includes Graduate Research
   Assistantship and/or Graduate Teaching Assistantship, covering tuition and
   benefits.

--
Lester Loschky
Professor