[visionlist] Please post ad for Post-doc in Perceptual Neuroscience Lab

Qasim Zaidi qz at sunyopt.edu
Fri Jul 19 16:32:49 -04 2024

Post-doc in Perceptual Neuroscience Lab

We are looking for an outstanding postdoctoral fellow to work on NIH grants to unravel the neural basis of form distortions seen by amblyopic adults and children. The research builds on our previous work on orientation processing, ON/OFF systems, electrophysiology and modeling of striate cortex, and perception of 3D object shapes, poses and motions. The new projects include psychophysics with normal observers to identify neural mechanisms of static and moving shape and scene perception, and with amblyopes using GANs to generate images of perceived distortions of stimuli that can identify neural deficits. The psychophysics results will guide computational models of normal and amblyopic cortical development.  The project involves collaboration with neurophysiologists and clinical researchers, plus imaging collaborations that are being set up. The lab is situated in the geographic center of Manhattan, and postdocs are encouraged to explore the scientific, intellectual and cultural riches of NYC.  Applicants should have a PhD in theoretical, computational and/or experimental research in any relevant field, and the curiosity and desire to learn new areas. Salary will be at NIH levels plus benefits. Our experience in the lab shows that excellence and diversity go together.  We welcome applications regardless of race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, and disability status. Email a letter of interest, CV, pdfs of selected papers, and names of two references to qz at sunyopt.edu<mailto:qz at sunyopt.edu>

Qasim Zaidi
SUNY Distinguished Professor
Graduate Center for Vision Research
State University of New York College of Optometry
33 West 42nd St, New York, NY 10036