[visionlist] Teller Acuity Cards

Jones, Pete p.r.jones at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 14 05:36:00 -04 2020

Well put Gislin.

Though I wonder if (1) is due to the camera, or subsequent image-compression? Easy enough to check by standing far away and seeing if the luminance difference is visible to the naked eye.

I find it hard to believe that the manufacturers could make such a fundamental error. Though I note that --- presumably due to fading/discoloration over time --- a similar thing has happened to an old set of Keeler Acuity Cards that I have (cards which were presumably well calibrated when they came off the printing press).

With respect to (2), it's strange that edge ramping still hasn't caught on among printed cards, but yes this criticism also applies to Teller Cards -- the edges of which are absolutely visible even when the gratings cannot be resolved. I can only assume that this isn't a problem in practice because most infants aren't so motivated to 'cheat'. Acuity would absolutely be over-estimated in adults with either product, which seems... unfortunate.

Ultimately I'd say it's an empirical question whether these new cards work sufficiently well for their intended use. Would be nice to see some data. But yeah, I'd not be optimistic myself..

Best, pete

Pete R Jones, PhD
Post-doctoral Research Associate
UCL Institute of Ophthalmology