[visionlist] [EXTERNAL] Re: online conference questions

Mulligan, Jeffrey B. (ARC-TH) jeffrey.b.mulligan at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 13 13:46:55 -04 2020

Thinking about how one might experience a poster session in VR made me think of another way that one might do it without VR:

Display a list of the posters (this could be done as a floor plan map, or just a linear list).  This would display the poster title and the name of the presenting author.  Then it would display the list of people who are “at” the poster (which should include the presenter during the time for odd/even poster numbers).  Each poster would have its own zoom meeting, and a link to download a pdf of the poster.  You can download and read the poster if nobody is “there”, if there are people “there” (in the zoom meeting) then you can join the meeting to hear the discussion and ask questions.  And nobody would have to physically jostle their way to the front!  It might be necessary to have some sort of queue for questions, so that all visitors get a fair shot at getting their question in.  (I have heard disappointing stories of junior people being ignored when a senior person walks up and takes over the discussion).  It might also be nice to record the discussions, so that a visitor can replay a previously recorded spiel and discussion when the presenter is not present.  That would be something that we can’t do with a real poster session.

Some infrastructure would be required to support this, I have no idea if something similar might already exist, but it wouldn’t be terribly complicated to implement.

-Jeff