[visionlist] OSA Color Technical Group webinar: Prof. Mike Webster (4 June 2020, 12:00-13:00 Eastern)

Manuel Spitschan manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 13 16:20:37 -04 2020

Register now for the next OSA Color Technical Group webinar! It is our pleasure to host Prof. Michael Webster (University of Nevada, Reno).

Title: Seeing Color Through Different Eyes - Individual Differences in Human Color Perception
Hosted by: OSA Color Technical Group
Date and time: 4 June 2020, 12:00 - 13:00
Registration: https://www.osa.org/en-us/meetings/webinar/2020/seeing_color_through_different_eyes_-_individual_d/

Summary
Even among observers with normal color vision, color sensitivity and perception can vary widely. These differences arise at many levels, from well-characterized variations in the spectral sensitivities of the cone receptors to still-mysterious factors affecting how people experience and name colors.

In this webinar hosted by the OSA Color Technical Group, Professor Mike Webster (University of Reno, Nevada) will provide an overview of individual differences in color vision, how they can be studied, and why they matter for understanding or working with color. The webinar will also explore visual processes that compensate for sensitivity variations, contributing to constancy in color percepts both within and between observers despite seeing the world through different eyes.

What You Will Learn:

    Basics of human color vision
    Individual differences in how we see color
    Implications of individual differences for color discrimination and color appearance

Who Should Attend:

    Students, researchers and professionals interested in color vision
    Anyone interested in understanding how color vision and color perception differs between individuals

About the Presenter: Prof. Michael Webster, University of Nevada, Reno

Michael Webster is a vision scientist who studies the cognitive and neural processes that underlie how we see. Much of his work focuses on characterizing how our perception adapts when the environment changes (e.g we move to a drier climate) or we change (e.g. as we age). He has discovered a number of novel and influential forms of adaptation, affecting how we see colors, how we correct for blurry vision, and how our perception of someone's face depends on the faces we have seen previously.

If you have any questions, please contact Manuel Spitschan, Chair of the OSA Color Technical Group, manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk<mailto:manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk>

Manuel Spitschan PhD
Chair, OSA Color Technical Group