[visionlist] Highly cited publications on vision in which authors were also subjects?

jobraun jochen.braun at ovgu.de
Wed May 27 12:33:27 -04 2020

Dear Gabrial,

one of my favourites would be Karni & Sagi (1991) with 326 citations.Where practice makes perfect in texture discrimination: evidence for primary visual cortex plasticity. <https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2052578/>
Karni A, Sagi D.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991 Jun 1;88(11):4966-70. doi: 10.1073/pnas.88.11.4966.
Best regards,
Jochen

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Kremers, Jan" <Jan.Kremers at uk-erlangen.de>
> Subject: Re: [visionlist] Highly cited publications on vision in which authors were also subjects?
> Date: 27. May 2020 at 18:12:42 CEST
> To: "'gabrieljacobdiaz at gmail.com'" <gabrieljacobdiaz at gmail.com>, "visionlist at visionscience.com" <visionlist at visionscience.com>
>
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> maybe the following is also useful information for you: we often compare psychophysical data with results from electrophysiological recordings to infer the physiological basis of perceptual phenomena.  These recordings may be ERG recordings on the same subjects. We are often our own subjects. I think this is very important because we are able to make links between ERG recordings and perception when we are also subject which would not be possible otherwise. I consider the time in which I am my own subject as scientifically very creative.
> We were criticized by the local ethics committee with the argument that we might force collaborators, who are in a dependent employment situation, to be subjects. I argued that we would curtail our scientific creative process if we would not be our own subject and they accepted that in the end.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jan
>
> Jan Kremers
> Prof. for Experimental Ophthalmology