[visionlist] Highly cited publications on vision in which authors were also subjects?

Kenneth Knoblauch ken.knoblauch at inserm.fr
Fri May 29 09:27:24 -04 2020

Hi Bob,

That was just the culmination of a long career including
adapting to lights that left afterimages 10 years later, putting fiber
optics behind the eyeball to stimulate the cones from the other
direction, moving the eye around by pulling on the extra ocular muscles
to see if he could detect eye position while muscle spindles were
blocked (I may be remembering that one incorrectly), electrical
stimulation of the eye beyond the pain threshold to describe the
phosphenes, etc.  Those are just the ones that we were reading as
graduate students.  Anything else outstanding (in vision) that I've
missed there?

Ken

--
Kenneth Knoblauch
Inserm U1208

On
2020-05-29 15:02, Robert Sekuler wrote:

> Ken:
>
> Glad you called
attention, however gingerly, to Brindley's (in)famous auto demonstration
at a meeting of the Urodynamics Society. Yes,
> Brindley made really,
really important contributions to vision science, including his book
"_Physiology of the Retina and Visual Pathway_." And his pioneering work
on visual prostheses.

> But Brindley is better known outside
vision science for the demonstration you alluded to, and for the 1983
published follow-up:
> Cavernosal Alpha-Blockade: A New Technique for
Investigating and Treating Erectile Impotence British Journal of
Psychiatry

AM, Kenneth Knoblauch <ken.knoblauch at inserm.fr> wrote:
> Let!'s not
forget the long list of experiments that cross the border of self-abuse
by G.S. Brindley.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> ___
> Ken Knoblauch

> Inserm U1208
> Stem-Cell and Brain Research Institute
> 18 av du
Doyen Lépine
> 69500 Bron France
> Tel : 04 72 91 34 77
> Fax :  04
72 91 34 61

<jonathan.winawer at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Maxwell, J. Clerk. "On the Theory
of Compound Colours, and the Relations of the Colours of the Spectrum."
Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, vol. 150,
1860, pp. 57-84. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/108759 [1]. Accessed 28 May
2020.

> This paper describes the color matching functions for two
observers, J and K. J is the author, James Clerk Maxwell. K is
apparently his wife Katherine.

> Despite the small n, the biased
sample, and the lack of pre-registration and p-values, the results have
held up fairly well.

Gabriel Diaz <gabriel.jacob.diaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear vision
community,

received a request to provide examples of manuscripts in which the PI is
also the subject in the manuscript.  I am hoping that some of you may be
able to help me track some down. The more impactful the better, whether
that be indicated by citation count, recognition of the publication
venue, or any other metric, as long as it will be evident to a
non-expert.

> Extra points if the study involves some element of
motor behavior / perception & action.

> Thanks in advance,
> - gD
> visionlist mailing