[visionlist] VSS statement on the murder of George Floyd and social justice

vss at visionsciences.org vss at visionsciences.org
Tue Jun 9 19:12:20 -04 2020

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LOyBhbXbK49jVrH04PjPd3_tBso2IvuvV3XtHmIgNldw
_vwzMg-gIvIJ_MPgc9x0auRe9JmWYkUCz_ERZyi-AfaaEDdRaF5a81kfW0E-5_utPdpWoYtb6Kez
7qCeLo0UM8sfN8h_jZSNF31IM2cseg==&c=KjkxpyOmfpfsaPEE9oeom_3F5sPZ5cZdNIeSrk2j8
8mdJyF_ePuqbQ==&ch=oEqLECbFeVNkmEFMwBVX02ewswcotkX2XhQX4J9PYwJ1y1_UL_gHXQ==>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/sys/S.gif>

Vision Sciences Society

Join us for V-VSS 2020

June 19 - 24

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

The death of George Floyd under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer is
yet another heart-wrenching act of racism and violence against Black
Americans. It serves as a reminder of the persistent systemic racism in the
U.S. and elsewhere. The ensuing protests have given voice to this
unacceptable situation, and VSS joins with many others in expressing our
profound outrage, frustration, and sadness. Black lives matter. We call on
leaders in the United States as well as around the world to take steps to
systematically address the root causes of events exemplified by the murder
of George Floyd and of so many other Black Americans.

We must also tackle these issues within our own community. We acknowledge
and recognize the lack of diversity within vision sciences and VSS. Our
culture should be respectful and welcoming for all, with vigorous efforts to
oppose and prevent prejudicial treatment or obstacles based on race, gender,
sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, and other forms of
diversity. VSS pledges to increase its efforts to promote diversity in the
field of vision science and in the VSS community. We are taking the
following initial steps: At its January 2020 meeting, the VSS Board
established a committee to promote Diversity, Inclusion and Respect. That
committee will hold a townhall at V-VSS 2020. We welcome the participation
of the membership in our efforts. Members are also encouraged to email
<mailto:vss at visionsciences.org> vss at visionsciences.org with ideas on how VSS
can improve in this critical area.

The VSS Board wishes our members health, safety, and the resolve to find a
way forward in these challenging times and encourages you all to take care
of yourselves and each other.

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

  <https://imgssl.constantcontact.com/letters/images/1101116784221/S.gif>

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LOyBhbXbK49jVrH04PjPd3_tBso2IvuvV3XtHmIgNldw
_vwzMg-gIuwf32U0RWlj_LSYeV9gRZgVuh1Fkv6X7rSrZZIyXYlwwTdj5LAebrN5zBiqP4Qcu38W
wHGQmj5hIprX17UM6moWa8bCgvMSlGo26TsCmf1gRHC7xLhN-ec2EjC8EdD-kKPRTY_aB5daFyEl
ouzYLPcKqz8QV23HeuusTemsOSQlzZIwMBo2kIFp9kcH_duc7fxV481iMs0uPLexND-h4A0Cn3x9
0zkFPQ4roCYpFGwm8hhLvnuXqGoCCuoGDnQNjJnmQeFRZr0H&c=KjkxpyOmfpfsaPEE9oeom_3F5
sPZ5cZdNIeSrk2j88mdJyF_ePuqbQ==&ch=oEqLECbFeVNkmEFMwBVX02ewswcotkX2XhQX4J9PY
wJ1y1_UL_gHXQ==> Subscribe Me

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LOyBhbXbK49jVrH04PjPd3_tBso2IvuvV3XtHmIgNldw
_vwzMg-gIvIJ_MPgc9x0auRe9JmWYkUCz_ERZyi-AfaaEDdRaF5a81kfW0E-5_utPdpWoYtb6Kez
7qCeLo0UM8sfN8h_jZSNF31IM2cseg==&c=KjkxpyOmfpfsaPEE9oeom_3F5sPZ5cZdNIeSrk2j8
8mdJyF_ePuqbQ==&ch=oEqLECbFeVNkmEFMwBVX02ewswcotkX2XhQX4J9PYwJ1y1_UL_gHXQ==>
Visit our website

Vision Sciences Society | +1-833-444-5777 | vss at visionsciences.org
<mailto:vss at visionsciences.org>

STAY CONNECTED

<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LOyBhbXbK49jVrH04PjPd3_tBso2IvuvV3XtHmIgNldw
_vwzMg-gImOQBEbHy5FlXcb-eHcdQ2P6OPy3TluvfcKxdNl1BK6tW5EzbEIWgonRmdO7uR9mJyut
cUq8ExSdwO49PH4gUbRBx5mwaR2PPs7J7ZRgWSJ8wrRlL9aA-1U7r9x1HmejgJXcQRLiuAcqQw5E
O4msBHVuKZaARmwSmJO4ChcDZsTr8awz3v2zMsZPFgKoisxhkQ==&c=KjkxpyOmfpfsaPEE9oeom
_3F5sPZ5cZdNIeSrk2j88mdJyF_ePuqbQ==&ch=oEqLECbFeVNkmEFMwBVX02ewswcotkX2XhQX4
J9PYwJ1y1_UL_gHXQ==> ‌
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LOyBhbXbK49jVrH04PjPd3_tBso2IvuvV3XtHmIgNldw
_vwzMg-gIvq0ZhkABVRmA64ZYQ24-APa17m4toBiPZQ0GPLopq5KJYSf39o4ck0fixHIEuI1McSZ
-jYhsAO8Z4mvebV6pFTsJ90nlwprAQ==&c=KjkxpyOmfpfsaPEE9oeom_3F5sPZ5cZdNIeSrk2j8
8mdJyF_ePuqbQ==&ch=oEqLECbFeVNkmEFMwBVX02ewswcotkX2XhQX4J9PYwJ1y1_UL_gHXQ==>
‌