[visionlist] Highly cited publications on vision in which authors were also subjects?

Jonathan D Victor jdvicto at med.cornell.edu
Fri Jun 12 09:49:56 -04 2020

A few speculations about why the IRB would ask.  I have good reason to believe that they are all applicable in my institutions’ review process. These are all pre-COVID.

(a)    They might be concerned about validity of the work, in that they are charged with making judgments about risk-benefit ratio.  So, even if the study is minimal risk, they need to be assured that there is at least some benefit – which requires some level of statistical rigorous. So it may be helpful to point out (if applicable) that the main inferences are within-subject, not between subjects, and that the number of observations (e.g., trials) is much much larger than the number of subjects.  And/or that the experimental design contains built-in randomizations so that you cannot “cheat.”  And it may also be helpful to point out that by participating as a subject, you are able to detect artifacts that might otherwise escape notice.

(b)    They are concerned about undue pressure to participate in the work.  You could certainly imagine that the IRB wants to know that junior collaborators or students are  not under undue pressure.  And in principle, you can even put yourself under undue pressure – i.e., the IRB also needs to protect you from yourself.  So one should provide assurance that this is not the case.

(c)     They might be concerned about disclosure of personally-identified health data – e.g., your age and that you have normal vision.  As mentioned in a previous post, we deal with this by getting explicit permission from subjects (including ourselves) to disclose, and we explain to the IRB that this adds scientific value to the work, because it allows for comparison across publications.  So the risk/benefit is favorable.

So one just needs to explain the reasons.  Hope this helps.

JV