[visionlist] 2 fully funded, 4-year PhD positions in individual perception at University of Giessen, Germany

Benjamin de Haas benjamindehaas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 09:02:34 -04 2020

Dear colleagues,

If you know suitable candidates, please forward the job ad below (2 fully
funded, 4-year PhD positions in individual perception at University of
Giessen, Germany).

Many thanks!

Ben de Haas

The Professorship for General Psychology, Faculty of Psychology and Sports
Science at Justus-Liebig University, Giessen, Germany, invites applications
for *two* *PhD positions* starting before January 2021.

The positions are part of the ERC-funded project INDIVISUAL, headed by Ben
de Haas (*www.individual-perception.com
<http://www.individual-perception.com>*). *Both positions are funded for 4
years*, with salary according to 65% F.T.E. of TV-H E13 (Entgeltgruppe 13,
Tarivvertrag Hessen).

The project is based at the Psychology Department of Giessen University,
Germany, which offers excellent facilities for studying visual perception.
These include state of the art eyetracking labs and mobile eyetracking, a
newly established virtual reality lab and a research-dedicated MRI facility
(3T Siemens Prisma). The lab is part of a larger research group, with
excellent links to scientists within Europe and worldwide (
http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de), which offers a stimulating,
multi-national and multi-disciplinary research environment (
http://www.sfb-perception.de). Giessen is a small university town, located
just 60 km north of Frankfurt, right at the center of Germany.

We are a group of enthusiastic vision scientists, aiming to understand
individual differences in perception. Our main methods are eyetracking, MRI
(including voxel-wise encoding models), psychophysics and computational
modelling. We plan to use VR and mobile eyetracking in the future.

*Successful candidates will *

è plan, design, carry out and analyse experiments on individual human
perception

è prepare publications as well as conference presentations on their results

*Successful candidates are expected to*

è be highly motivated to do research on individual perception (
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/24/11687)

è be familiar with at least one of the methods we use (see above)

è have completed or are close to completing a master’s degree in
Experimental Psychology or a related field (e.g. Neuroscience, Biology,
Computer Science)

è enjoy working in a team, as well as independently

è be keen to learn and expand their quantitative and programming skills.

Extensive experience in programming, MRI or eyetracking are advantageous,
but not a strict requirement.

Justus-Liebig University Giessen (JLU) aims to employ more women in
scientific research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates
to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with
children are very welcome. A division of the position in two half-day posts
is basically possible under the Hessian Equal Opportunities Act.

For further information and to apply, please contact
*Benjamin.de-haas at psychol.uni-giessen.de
<Benjamin.de-haas at psychol.uni-giessen.de> *(alternative e-mail
benjamindehaas at gmail.com)

Applications should preferably be sent electronically (see above) and
directed to Benjamin de Haas, JLU, Allgemeine Psychologie,
Otto-Behaghel-Strasse 10F, 35394 Giessen, Germany. The* application
deadline *is* August 10, 2020*. Please specify *position number 292/06* in
your application. We particularly encourage female applicants and
applicants with disabilities to apply. Full applications should include a
CV, a one-page statement of research interests and the names and contact
details of up to 3 referees.

benjamindehaas at gmail.com