[visionlist] Scientists from under-represented groups

Stephen Engel engel at umn.edu
Wed Jul 8 11:16:41 -04 2020

Dear Vision Science Community,

Here is a google document containing a list of Black researchers and
engineers in perception, that a few of us put together in response from
requests from students, and with help from members of this mailing list
(thanks!). It is a partial list intended to help further diversify
representation in classroom instruction, specifically Intro to Sensation
and Perception, and is a mix of historical and currently active figures.

Many caveats apply:  Black researchers and engineers are emphasized in
this document over other under-represented and otherwise challenged
groups, in part because of the current moment. And there are many other
things we can and should be doing to increase diversity and justice in
the classroom (e.g. discussing diversity of samples and sources of bias
in science, the role different environments play in shaping perception,
et al.), in the field, and in the world.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SnxasZmtNaxs1IiIIbUrgQ4LZl27UMyshxfU5sHaBqM

Please email me with comments, corrections and/or additions.

Best,

Steve Engel
University of Minnesota