[visionlist] OSA Color Technical Group webinar: Roland Fleming - Visual Perception of Materials (21 September 2020)

Manuel Spitschan manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 1 15:56:08 -04 2020

[Apologies for cross-posting.]

It is my great pleasure to announce the upcoming webinar organised by the OSA Color Technical Group. Please share with interested students and colleagues.

Speaker: Prof Roland Fleming<http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/roland/>, Justus-Liebig University Giessen
Topic: Visual Perception of Materials
Time: Sep 21, 2020 12:00 PM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Description: Under typical viewing conditions, humans effortlessly recognize materials and infer their properties at a glance. Without touching materials, we can usually tell what they would feel like, and we enjoy vivid visual intuitions about how they are likely to respond if we interact with them. These achievements are impressive because the retinal image of a material results from extremely complex physical processes (e.g. sub-surface light transport; visco-elastic fluid flow).

Due to their extreme diversity, mutability and complexity, materials represent a particularly challenging class of visual stimuli, so understanding how we recognize materials, estimate their properties, predict their behaviour, and interact with them could give us more general insights into visual processing. What is ‘material appearance’, and how do we measure it and model it? How are material properties estimated and represented? Discussing these questions causes us to scrutinize the basic assumptions of ‘inverse optics’ that prevail in theories of human vision, and gives hints at how to build a machine vision system that could learn materials from observation.

What You Will Learn:
• Basics of how material properties are physically described
• The challenges the brain faces in inferring material properties from retinal data
• Classic and recent findings material perception research
• New ideas in the application of unsupervised learning to material perception

Who Should Attend:
• The webinar is suitable for anyone interested in visual perception with at least an undergraduate level of training in psychology, neuroscience, computer science or related disciplines.

Registration: https://osa.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fkvHOHefQFGp75AimAEVQg

(Please note: This choice of time unfortunately precludes many people from attending in real time. However, this webinar will be recorded and available for on-demand viewing. To receive a link with the recording a few days after.)

Manuel Spitschan PhD
Chair, OSA Color Technical Group

--
Manuel Spitschan PhD

University Research Lecturer
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford

Biomedical Sciences Junior Research Fellow
Linacre College, University of Oxford

Email: manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk<mailto:manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk>