[visionlist] covid and data collection

Karabay, A. a.karabay at rug.nl
Fri Oct 16 10:37:08 -04 2020

hey Joe,

We are collecting data for about 2.5 months at the University of Groningen
(Netherlands). There are Covid-19 regulations which we take seriously. I
list some of them below:

* If possible, do an online study.
* Always keep the distance from the participant
* Masks are a must for both participant and researcher
* There should be air circulation in the experimental rooms; if no air
circulation possible, we keep the doors open at least one hour after
participants leave the room.
* Researcher and participant washes hands before participating
* No students can collect data - only Ph.D., postdocs, and senior
researchers.
* If being physically close to the participant is necessary (EEG or
pupillometry experiments), it has to be done with caution.
* All keyboards, mouses and other equipment has to be cleaned with alcohol
wet papers.
* Participants do self-corona checks - we send e-mail one day before the
participation- if they have even a single symptom, they are advised not to
be present.

So far, we survived :)
Good luck!
Aytac
Postdoctoral fellow

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 4:23 PM Joe MacInnes <macinnes.j at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Just curious how everyone is dealing with data collection during this
> new wave of covid cases.  I've managed to postpone most data
> collection until now, but I'm starting to feel the crunch on a couple
> of projects (including a revise and resubmit insisting on extra data).
> I have seen guidelines on how to minimize risk, but is there really a
> safe pathway for data collection at the moment?  Our university is
> still open but requires temperature checks at the entrance and masks
> at all times.  I have gauze for the headrest and cleaning material for
> the experiment room after every subject.  I can additionally wait 45
> minutes between subjects.
> Even with all these measures, I still feel like the only 100% solution
> is to postpone. Thoughts?  advice?
> Joe

A. Karabay
Post-doc researcher