[visionlist] PhD positions at Brown University

Tompkin, James james_tompkin at brown.edu
Sun Nov 29 23:23:15 -04 2020

Hi everyone,

Brown Visual Computing is looking for multiple PhD students across our
faculty.

We work at the intersection of computer graphics, computer vision, machine
learning, and human-computer interaction to make and make sense of visual
data. visual.cs.brown.edu

Faculty hiring:

   -

   James Tompkin - www.jamestompkin.com
   Cameras and scene reconstruction, interactive image and video editing.

   -

   Srinath Sridhar - www.srinathsridhar.com
   3D spatiotemporal visual understanding, understanding human and object
   3D pose/shape.

   -

   Chen Sun - www.chensun.me
   Machine intelligence that understands and anticipates human activities
   from videos.

   -

   Daniel Ritchie - dritchie.github.io
   Analyzing, modeling, and synthesizing 3D scenes and objects.

   -

   Jeff Huang - www.jeffhuang.com
   HCI, livestreaming, self-experiments, and computational mental health.

   -

   David Laidlaw - vrl.cs.brown.edu
   Visualization, VR, scientific and interactive visualization tools.

Brown CS PhDs:

   -

   Guaranteed funding for 5 years.
   <https://www.brown.edu/academics/gradschool/financing-support>
   -

   Labs are not too big, not too small.
   -

   Friendly and conscientious community.
   -

   Collaborations across groups (Robotics, AI, NLP, Systems).

Application: Brown CS: Applying To Our Doctoral Program
<https://cs.brown.edu/degrees/doctoral/applications/>

   -

   Program webpage <https://cs.brown.edu/degrees/doctoral/>
   -

   No GRE requirement.
   -

   If you have financial difficulty, we have application fee waivers.
   -

   If you belong to an underrepresented group in CS, we have a resources
   page for you.
   <https://cs.brown.edu/degrees/doctoral/applications/helpful-resources-applying-computer-science-phd-programs/>
   -

   Deadline: December 15th.

About Providence, RI, USA <https://goo.gl/maps/kVj7bSq8v6j1LmoF8>:

   -

   “The Creative Capital” - great arts, food, culture.
   <https://cs.brown.edu/about/pvd/>
   -

   Smart, urbane, wonderfully weird.
   <https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/lifestyle/vacation-ideas/things-to-do-in-providence/>
   -

   1hr from Boston, 4 hrs from New York City. <https://www.amtrak.com/>

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions,
James