[visionlist] Postdoctoral positions at Smith-Kettlewell: Opening in binocular eye movement control

Steve Heinen heinen at ski.org
Fri Jan 22 20:20:38 -04 2021

The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute announces the opening of an
exciting opportunity to apply for postdoctoral fellowships. We have at
least two open positions: two funded by Smith-Kettlewell fellowship
funds, and potentially another two funded by an NIH training grant.

One of these is in the Heinen lab. Our lab uses**binocular eye recording
during occlusion of one or both eyes to investigate inconsistencies in
binocular eye movement theories that have guided basic research and
strabismus intervention for over 150 years. Our results will be used to
develop an alternative computational model, and deduce faulty circuitry
underlying pathological ocular misalignment.

Smith-Kettlewell has a uniquely attractive postdoctoral program in
vision research and related fields. Our program offers the flexibility
to design an individualized training plan tailored to achieve each
fellow’s specific career goals. We train fellows to become independent
scientists, with strong support and encouragement for fellows to propose
and pursue their own research in close collaboration and mentorship with
one or more of our experienced principal investigators. Many of our
fellows have successfully established their own funded research programs
with fruitful and fulfilling careers.

The fellowships require a Ph.D. or M.D. and are normally awarded for two
years, with our most successful fellows often being invited to continue
as sponsored investigators. Applications from individuals with
disabilities or other underrepresented groups are particularly
encouraged. The Smith-Kettlewell fellowships are open to US Citizens and
foreign nationals. The NEI Training Grant requires that fellows be US
citizens or permanent residents.

Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2021. Details of the
program and application procedures can be found at
http://www.ski.org/how-apply. To apply, please contact Steve Heinen
(heinen at ski.org) to begin the application process. If you have further
questions, please email Dr. Preeti Verghese or Beatriz St. John at
fellowships at ski.org.

--
Stephen J. Heinen, Ph.D., Senior Scientist
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
heinen at ski.org
https://www.ski.org/lab/heinen-lab