[visionlist] CFP for PhD candidates in SPIKE NEURAL NETWORK FOR ATMOSPHERIC DATA MINING

Chaabane Djeraba chabane.djeraba at univ-lille.fr
Wed Feb 24 19:33:21 -04 2021

The FOX research team from the CRIStAL laboratory (UMR CNRS) of Lille University - FR, in collaboration with bio-inspired team of Kent University - UK is looking for PhD student candidates on the following subject : SPIKE NEURAL NETWORK FOR ATMOSPHERIC DATA MINING

Title : SPIKE NEURAL NETWORK FOR ATMOSPHERIC DATA MINING
Abstract of the PhD subject :
The objective of the PhD thesis is the study of bio-inspired pattern recognition of atmospheric phenomena, from earth observation satellite. In particular, the thesis project studies neuromorphic learning approach for the classification of spatiotemporal image sequences available in large quantities and without terrain truth or with very limited terrain truth. The data are aerosols, collected from earth observation satellites. The results of the thesis will contribute to make a large amount of atmospheric data accessible, even exploitable by the scientific community in the domain of the detection, tracking and prediction of the air quality.
We are looking for excellent PhD candidates in thre domain of AI applied to atmospheric data.

Key words : Spike neural network, Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, atmospheric data mining

Candidates must hold a Master degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics. Experience in one or more of the following is a plus:
•    image processing, computer vision;
•    machine learning;
•    research methodology (literature review, experimentation…).

Candidates should have the following skills:
•    good proficiency in English, both spoken and written;
•    scientific writing;
•    programming (experience in Python, Java or C++).

More details are available here : https://filesender.renater.fr/?s=download&token=76a3ba06-63af-43a7-a34a-40e99f1a42d0

The PHD thesis will be funded in the framework of the AI_PhD at Lille program.
http://www.isite-ulne.fr/index.php/en/phd-in-artificial-intelligence/
http://www.isite-ulne.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Thèses-IA_Campagne2021_I_Site_GB.pdf
www.isite-ulne.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Thèses-IA_Campagne2021_I_Site_GB.pdf

The candidate will be funded for 3 years; he/she is expected to defend his/her thesis and graduate by the end of the contract. The monthly gross salary is around 2000€, including benefits (health insurance, retirement fund, and paid vacations). Additional financial support is expected in the framework of the AI_PhD at Lille program.

The position is located in Lille, France. With over 110 000 students, the metropolitan area of Lille is one France's top education student cities. The European Doctoral College Lille Nord-Pas de Calais is headquartered in Lille Metropole and includes 3,000 PhD Doctorate students supported by university research laboratories. Lille has a convenient location in the European high-speed rail network. It lies on the Eurostar line to London (1:20 hour journey). The French TGV network also puts it only 1 hour from Paris, 35 mn from Brussels, and a short trips to other major centres in France such as Paris, Marseille and Lyon.

We look forward to receiving your application as soon as possible, but no later than 20.03.2021.

—
Chaabane Djeraba (PhD), Professeur, Univ. Lille, CNRS, Centrale Lille, UMR 9189 CRIStAL, F-59000 Lille, Bat. IRCICA, 50 avenue Halley, 59650 Villeneuve d’Ascq, France, chabane.djeraba at univ-lille.fr