[visionlist] We are hiring! Two Assistant Professor positions in Digital Science & Immersive Technologies

Ehud Sharlin ehud at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 30 13:57:28 -04 2021

<apologies for cross-postings>

https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/6496559-assistant-professor-digital-science-and-immersive-technologies-department-of-computer-science-faculty-of-science

The *Department of Computer Science* at the *University of Calgary* seeks
outstanding candidates for *TWO tenure-track positions at the Assistant
Professor level in the area of **Digital Science and Immersive Technologies*
 with an anticipated start date of September 1, 2021 or later.

Applicants must possess a PhD in Computer Science (or equivalent) at the
time of appointment. The successful candidates must demonstrate evidence of
an impactful track record of publications in high-quality journals and
conferences. Successful applicants must also show a strong willingness to
contribute to the department's innovative teaching and research
initiatives. The successful applicants must also have demonstrated
expertise in extended reality (VR/AR/XR) as well as another research area
relevant to digital science – data science, online and blended learning, or
computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW) and its applications in teaching
and learning contexts.

Candidates must have strong interests in trans-disciplinary research to
support the University of Calgary’s *Growth through Focus *
<https://ucalgary.ca/president/unstoppable-growth-through-focus?%2Fgrowth-through-focus=>strategic
vision, as well as the Faculty of Science  <https://science.ucalgary.ca/>'s
initiative on Digital Science
<https://science.ucalgary.ca/research/grand-challenges/digital-future>. The
successful candidates will embrace the opportunity to develop
future-focused undergraduate and graduate programs, including the expansion
and augmentation of on-line delivery and experiential learning activities
(e.g., labs and field work). The Faculty of Science is committed to
enhancing and accelerating the use of digital technology in our research
laboratories and classroom spaces. We are specifically interested in
candidates fluent in VR/AR/XR tools to explore and apply immersive
technologies in order to, for example:

   - create digital twins of teaching labs, field sites, etc.,
   - build and explore augmented reality technology (VR and AR HMDs,
   tablets, smart phones) that enhances and complements physical laboratory
   equipment,
   - investigate and apply methodologies for blending virtual and physical
   objects and spaces, thus serving as a bridge between purely virtual
   teaching and learning environments and hybrid training environments,
   - offer "virtual" training workshops for field work, which prepare
   students for their field trips in virtual, safe environments before they
   embark on the actual, digitally augmented field work, or
   - co-design with faculty and students in science to address challenges
   in integrating online VR/AR/XR training with physical laboratory sites,
   equipment, and skills.

The candidates are expected to engage in the University of Calgary's
Entrepreneurial Thinking and Digital Innovation initiatives. Although
primarily situated in the Department of Computer Science, we also foresee
collaborations with researchers and educators in biological sciences,
chemistry, geoscience, physics and astronomy as well as the Taylor
Institute for Teaching and Learning  <https://taylorinstitute.ucalgary.ca/>.

The candidates are also expected to contribute to the *Growth through
Focus *
<https://ucalgary.ca/president/unstoppable-growth-through-focus?%2Fgrowth-through-focus=>strategy,
specifically in the context of Future-focused Program Delivery
<https://ucalgary.ca/president/unstoppable-growth-through-focus/future-focused-program-delivery>
 in the focus area of " Exploring Digital Worlds
<https://ucalgary.ca/president/unstoppable-growth-through-focus/four-areas-focus>
".

*Please apply online via the ‘Apply Now’ link. A complete application
should be submitted in a single pdf, and include the following:*

   - Cover letter (1-2 pages)
   - Current curriculum vitae
   - Research Plan (1-3 pages)
   - Teaching Philosophy (1-2 pages)
   - Statement describing the candidate’s contributions, or potential
   contributions, to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) along with their
   ability to work with a culturally diverse and international student, staff,
   and faculty body (up to 1 page)
   - Names and contact information of three references

*https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/6496559-assistant-professor-digital-science-and-immersive-technologies-department-of-computer-science-faculty-of-science
<https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/6496559-assistant-professor-digital-science-and-immersive-technologies-department-of-computer-science-faculty-of-science>*

*Application deadline: May 3, 2021*

*Applications can be addressed to: Dr. Christian Jacob, Head, Department of
Computer Science*

The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous
Strategy <https://www.ucalgary.ca/indigenous-strategy/> in line with the
foundational goals of *Eyes High <https://www.ucalgary.ca/eyeshigh> *,
committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus
that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous
community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that
we do.

*The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits
and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire
campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that
have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive
to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will
support their academic and professional success while they are here. All
qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time
of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a
Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)*

*Additional Information*

To learn more about academic opportunities at the University of Calgary and
all we have to offer, view our *Academic Careers website
<http://careers.ucalgary.ca/pages/academic-careers>*. For more information
about the Faculty of Science visit *Careers in the Faculty of Science
<https://science.careers.ucalgary.ca/>.*

*About the Faculty of Science*

The Faculty of Science has been catalyzing change and inspiring discovery,
creativity, and innovation for over 50 years. Our strategic direction
integrates current and emerging strengths with areas targeted for future
growth and investment. Our strategic priorities, goals, and values guide
our mission to advance research, scholarship, and innovation, create
authentic learning experiences, and inspire careers of the future. We drive
transformational change, and build a strong community through teaching,
learning, research, scholarship, and collaborative partnerships. We do this
work to generate curiosity-driven discovery and contribute solutions to
society’s grand challenges. For more information, visit science.ucalgary.ca.

*About the University of Calgary*

The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university –
a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and
opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most
enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes
High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research
universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully
integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of
Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across
all disciplines. For more information, visit *ucalgary.ca
<http://www.ucalgary.ca/>*.

*About Calgary, Alberta*

Calgary is one of the world's cleanest cities and has been named one of the
world's most livable cities for years. Calgary is a city of leaders - in
business, community, philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgarians benefit from
a growing number of world-class dining and cultural events and enjoy more
days of sunshine per year than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is
less than an hour's drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains and boasts the
most extensive urban pathway and bikeway network in North America.

--
Ehud Sharlin, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science