[visionlist] Announcing Neuromatch Academy courses for 2021!

Gunnar Blohm gunnar.blohm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:55:36 -04 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are excited to announce that Neuromatch Academy (NMA) will offer two
courses this year:

NMA-Computational Neuroscience: July 5-23, 2021
Content: https://github.com/NeuromatchAcademy/course-content

NMA-Deep Learning: Aug 2-20, 2021
Content: https://github.com/NeuromatchAcademy/course-content-dl

Applications for interactive students and teaching assistants will be
open April 15 to May 7th 2021. Faculty interested in being project
mentors can use the same portal to apply.
Application Portal: https://portal.neuromatchacademy.org/

What is Neuromatch Academy?
Neuromatch Academy (NMA) launched last year as a response to the
COVID-19 pandemic. Our aim is to provide globally-accessible,
high-quality, TA-supported training in computational techniques related
to neuroscience. In 2020, NMA designed and ran a fully online 3-week
Computational Neuroscience course for 1757 students with 191 teaching
assistants (TAs) working in virtual inverted (or flipped) classrooms and
on small group projects. Fourteen languages, active community
management, and low cost allowed for an unprecedented level of
inclusivity and universal accessibility.

What’s in a course?
Our courses are intensive 3-week programs involving hands-on tutorials
developed by experts in the field. We have two tracks for students:
interactive and observer.  Accepted interactive students are placed into
TA-led pods (groups) using the neuromatch algorithm, which matches
students with common interests who are in the same timezone and their
preferred language for instruction. Interactive students receive
personalized support as they work through hands-on tutorials and
collaborate on course projects. Officially registered observer track
students have full access to the materials, access to NMA course
communications (e.g., Discord), and can choose to be matched with other
observer track students

What does it cost?
We charge full-time students/academics a region adjusted small fee for
the Interactive track in order to pay for TAs (fee waivers are available
to those who need it, no questions asked). Students without an academic
affiliation (i.e., industry applicants) are charged the full
unsubsidized cost of the school, but can also inquire about waivers.
Observer track participants have access to all the content at no cost,
but are not placed in TA-led pods.

Please see the website (https://academy.neuromatch.io/) for additional
information, pre-course resources and volunteer opportunities!

Warm Regards,
Neuromatch Academy team

Follow @neuromatch on twitter for regular updates!

--