[visionlist] Announcing 'phiVis: Philosophy of Vision Science' (VSS Satellite Event)

Chaz Firestone chaz at jhu.edu
Sat May 15 20:33:23 -04 2021

Dear colleagues,

I'm excited to announce a new satellite event of the annual meeting of the
Vision Sciences Society: *phiVis – Philosophy of Vision Science*.

Recent years have seen a resurgence of interest in the intersection between
vision science and the philosophy of perception. But opportunities for
conversation between vision scientists and philosophers are still hard to
come by. The phiVis workshop will be a forum for promoting and expanding
this interdisciplinary dialogue. Philosophers of perception can capitalize
on the experimental knowledge of working vision scientists, while vision
scientists will have an opportunity to connect their research to
longstanding philosophical questions. The workshop will feature short talks
by philosophers of perception that engage with the latest research in
vision science, followed by prepared comments by vision scientists, on
topics such as probabilistic representation in perception, perceptual
constancy, amodal completion, multisensory perception, visual adaptation,
and more.

Our event will take place on *Sunday, May 23rd, from 3:30pm-5:30pm ET*,
and will be held virtually (Zoom details forthcoming). The event will
feature the following talks:

*Ned Block (NYU): Perception is Non-Conceptual*
with comments by Anya Hurlbert (Newcastle)

*Jessie Munton (Cambridge): Seeing How Things Could Be*
with comments by Phil Kellman (UCLA)

*E.J. Green (MIT): Revisiting Molyneux's Puzzle*
with comments by Ladan Shams (UCLA)

Also on the program are Karen Schloss (Wisconsin) and Jorge Morales (JHU),
who will serve as chairs. The event will conclude with an open-ended
discussion for all participants, about ways philosophy and vision science
can most productively interact.

You can learn more about the phiVis workshop at our website — www.phivis.org
 — and also in the attached flyer.

*Registration is free*, though we ask that you please formally sign up to
attend through this registration link <https://www.phivis.org/events//form>,
which can also be found on the workshop's website.

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Chaz Firestone
Kevin Lande
co-organizers, phiVis

--
Chaz Firestone
Assistant Professor of Psychological and Brain Sciences