[visionlist] 3 postdoc positions in Leuven

Johan Wagemans johan.wagemans at kuleuven.be
Tue Jun 15 17:15:05 -04 2021

3 postdoc positions in Leuven, Belgium

We are looking for three postdocs to work in the group of Johan Wagemans (GestaltReVision group<http://www.gestaltrevision.be/> in Brain & Cognition at the University of Leuven).

Each of the three profiles combines several interests, and in this way, they will strengthen our current expertise to be applied to current and future projects in the broad areas of vision science and empirical aesthetics:
1. Computational modeling of visual processing (experience in predictive coding theories and/or Bayesian modeling of perceptual organization in relation to the visual cortical hierarchy is an asset)
2. Eye-movement research in the context of visual perception and appreciation of (images) of art works (experience in mobile eye-tracking - data acquisition and analysis - is an asset)
3. Applications of machine learning and computer vision techniques in the context of visual perception and appreciations of images (experience with DNNs that are relevant for image analysis, e.g., CNN, GAN and/or transformers, is an asset)

Postdocs in our group get a lot of freedom to work on their own projects, if embedded in our current research programs, as well as opportunities to be involved in projects of other lab members (e.g., supervising bachelor's and master's projects, co-supervising PhD students) and in teaching classes in courses in psychophysics, advanced research topics, and advanced research methods.

Your profile
- You hold a PhD in experimental, cognitive, biological or mathematical psychology, or in a related field (e.g., cognitive neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science, artificial intelligence), or will hold a PhD by September 2021.
- You have programming experience (e.g., Python, R) and experience in statistics (e.g., Bayesian, multilevel).
- You have good knowledge of written and spoken English.
- You have good communication skills and you enjoy working in a team.
- You have publications in international journals on topics related to our research.

Our offer
We offer full-time employment for 1, 2, or 3 years, depending on your own preference and our evaluation of your capacities and performance. The ideal starting date is in September or October 2021. The University of Leuven (KU Leuven) is consistently ranked within the top of European Universities and is located in the city of Leuven, with a strong international appeal (close to Brussels and thus very well connected to the rest of Europe). For more information about our university, please visit http://www.kuleuven.be/about/

Applications
Formal applications should be sent by email to Johan Wagemans at johan.wagemans at kuleuven.be<mailto:johan.wagemans at kuleuven.be> and should include a specification of the position you are applying for (+ why you think you are suited for that) as part of the motivation letter, a scientific CV with publication list, and the names of two senior researchers who would be willing to provide a recommendation (no letters have to be sent yet). Application deadline is July 4th 2021.

Johan Wagemans
University of Leuven (KU Leuven)
Department of Brain & Cognition
Tiensestraat 102, box 3911