[visionlist] Research Associate - Neurophysiological Correlates of Visual Attention at Nottingham Trent University, UK

Howard, Christina christina.howard at ntu.ac.uk
Tue Jul 27 04:36:29 -04 2021

Dear all,

Applications are invited for the above Bial Foundation funded project 'Age-related Changes To Asynchronous Interference During Motor-cognitive Dual Tasking', based at NTU Psychology, led by Prof Suvo Mitra and Dr Christina Howard.

Under the supervision and mentorship of the principal investigators, and with the assistance of an EEG lab technician, the post holder will handle the day-to-day work of implementing this research project on the age-related changes that occur in dual-tasking tradeoffs when attention and executive function tasks are performed alongside continuous visuo-motor tasks. Healthy young (< 30 yrs) and older adults (> 60 yrs) will perform a visual oddball task alongside a visuomotor tracking task. Behavioural and high-density EEG data will be collected. ERP and time-frequency analyses of EEG will map the timing, direction and type of interference between the two tasks' operations.

Data will be collected using NTU Psychology's BioSemi ActiveTwo EEG system and analysed using EEGLAB and custom MATLAB scripts written/modified by the postholder.

The successful candidate will take part in all aspects of the research process, including reviewing relevant literature, data collection and analysis, report writing and dissemination.  Experience in EEG recording or in the conduct of other careful physiological or behavioural experimentation is desirable, as are computer programming and writing skills.  This one-year post will be an ideal opportunity for anyone from neuroscience, psychology, computer engineering or another relevant field who wishes to develop their skills in neuroscience and psychology.

Nottingham Trent University has one of the largest academic units of Psychology in the UK with over 100 academic staff. It has an excellent reputation for its theoretical and applied research. Psychology has a lively and friendly community of experimental and applied psychologists and provides a varied portfolio of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

Interview Date: Week commencing September 13, 2021.

Please upload a current CV and a statement of your research interests with your application.

If you have any queries about this role, please contact Professor Suvo Mitra (suvo.mitra at ntu.ac.uk<mailto:suvo.mitra at ntu.ac.uk>)

NTU prides itself on being an inclusive employer. We value and celebrate equality in opportunities, and we welcome applications from people who reflect the diversity of our communities.

This role is open to non-UK/Irish applicants subject to current UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) rules. Please ensure that you have the appropriate right to work in the UK for this role and consult the Home Office website for further information.

We're proud of how far we've come. With a shared vision, we are a community of more than 4,000 colleagues, all committed to our goal of becoming 'the university of the future'. Do you have the passion to help us to go even further? www.ntu.ac.uk<http://www.ntu.ac.uk/>

Please note that this role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and successful applicants will be asked to declare any unspent criminal convictions.

Research Associate - Neurophysiological Correlates of Visual Attention at Nottingham Trent University (jobs.ac.uk)<https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CHV801/research-associate-neurophysiological-correlates-of-visual-attention>
https://vacancies.ntu.ac.uk/displayjob.aspx?jobid=9301

Dr Christina J. Howard
Associate Professor
Room 103, Taylor Building
Nottingham Trent University
50 Shakespeare Street, Nottingham, NG1 4FQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)115 848 5556
Sometimes my messages arrive outside of working hours, this does not imply any expectation that you should reply outside of working hours.

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.