[visionlist] OSA-FVM Important announcement

Ione Fine ionefine at uw.edu
Sat Aug 21 16:01:56 -04 2021

Unfortunately, we have determined that the OSA Fall Vision meeting cannot be held in-person this year due to the resurgence of COVID-19.

Instead, UW and OSA  will host a series of free, open-access OSA-FVM virtual events, beginning in October.

Information about these events can be found at:

https://www.osafallvisionmeeting.org.

Online events will include:

2020 Tillyer Award lecture

Professor Bill Geisler III, University of Texas at Austin

For pioneering theories of optimal visual processing that bring together scene statistics, physiological constraints, and task requirements to gain a new understanding of perceptual functions and eye movements.

This event will include an introduction to the speaker, a pre-recorded (or live) lecture, a moderated live Q&A and a brief virtual congratulation ceremony.

Colleagues are encouraged to record a brief  'congratulation' message for Bill here<https://app.memento.com/congratukations-bill-geisler/hivOFhCMD/record>. After the Q&A we will play the congratulations video.

2020 Boynton Lecture

Professor Christine Curcio, The University of Alabama at Birmingham

For seminal contributions to our understanding of human retinal neuroscience, including the effects of aging and age-related macular degeneration.

This event will include an introduction to the speaker, a pre-recorded (or live) lecture, a moderated live Q&A and a brief virtual congratulation ceremony.

Colleagues are encouraged to record a brief 'congratulation' message for Christine here<https://app.memento.com/congratulations-christine-curcio/g0x2NmHeN/record>.

OSA-FVM Seminar series

Beginning in October, UW and OSA will host a virtual seminar series. Each seminar will consist of 4 invited speakers and an online Q&A.

*       GABAergic function and dysfunction in visual perception

*       Reawakening plasticity in visual cortex

*       Are we going forward or backwards? Computational models of vision

*       AI applications in Ophthalmology & Vision science

*       Retinal mechanisms mediating spatial and color vision

Data Blasts

Each Data Blast will feature a series of short talks (~5 min) followed by lots of time for questions and discussion. As in previous OSA-FVM meetings, Data Blast abstracts will be archived in the Journal of Vision as a citable abstract. We will select 4 OSA Young Investigator Awardees from eligible Data Blast submissions.

Abstract submissions for the Data Blasts can be submitted here<https://www.osafallvisionmeeting.org/submit-an-abstract>. The deadline for Data Blast abstracts is the 3rd Sept. A separate email will be sent to people who have already submitted abstracts.

We appreciate your patience!

Sincerely,

Local Organizer Representatives, Ione Fine, Kim Meier, Ramkumar Sabesan, Mike Manookin, University of Seattle, WA

Stacey Choi, Chair of OSA FVM Planning Committee

Ravi Jonnal, Co-chair of OSA FVM Planning Committee