[visionlist] professor Angel Vassilev has passed away

Tony Redmond RedmondT1 at cardiff.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 03:43:44 -04 2021

I was very sad to hear of the passing of Angel Vassilev. I first got to know Angel through his collaboration with my PhD supervisors, Margarita Zlatkova (Vidinova) and Roger Anderson at the University of Ulster, and subsequently I had the privilege of collaborating with him on some projects in spatial summation in the S-cone pathway. His knowledge and love for psychophysics were a huge inspiration to me in my early career and his published works shaped my own primary research interests. In addition to his contributions to basic psychophysics, mentioned by others, Angel's research is also highly applicable to clinical psychophysics, including perimetry.
Angel was not only a great scientist, but also a really lovely man. He was kind and generous, and always extremely helpful and insightful in discussions of experimental design and physiology. He was particularly eager to enthuse and help develop the careers of novice researchers. Psychophysics has lost a great man. Angel will be dearly missed.

Tony Redmond

Dr Tony Redmond
Dr Tony Redmond
BSc PhD MCOptom FHEA
BSc PhD MCOptom FHEA
Senior Lecturer
Director of Postgraduate Research
Uwch-ddarlithydd
Cyfarwyddwr Ymchwil Ôl-raddedig
School of Optometry and Vision Sciences
Yr Ysgol Optometreg a Gwyddorau'r Golwg
Cardiff University
Prifysgol Caerdydd
Maindy Road
Heol Maindy
Cardiff, CF24 4HQ
Caerdydd, CF24 4HQ
UK
DA

Tel: + 44 (0) 29 2087 0564
Ffôn: + 44 (0) 29 2087 0564
Email: RedmondT1 at cardiff.ac.uk<mailto:RedmondT1 at cardiff.ac.uk>
E-bost: RedmondT1 at caerdydd.ac.uk<mailto:RedmondT1 at caerdydd.ac.uk>
Web: Cardiff University Webpage<http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/people/view/38235-redmond-tony>

Twitter: @tony_redmond<https://twitter.com/tony_redmond>

The University welcomes correspondence in Welsh or English.
Mae'r Brifysgol yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg neu'n Saesneg