[visionlist] Postdoc position in Mesovisio Laboratory

Nasr, Shahin,Ph.D. shahin.nasr at MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Sep 22 17:07:06 -04 2021

Dear All,

We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our team at Mesovision Laboratory, a human neuroimaging research group in Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging at Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital / Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (http://mesovision.martinos.org).
The postdoc will work directly with Dr. Shahin Nasr (Principal Investigator (PI)) to study the fine-scale functional organization of human visual system in individuals with normal and impaired vision. Our NEI/NIH-funded study is primarily focused on using high-resolution functional MRI human to reveal the link between brain activity and visual perception in amblyopia, a visual impairments caused by disruption of binocular vision in early stages of life.
The postdoc will become an integral part of a team that values collaboration with groups from other disciplines, including those that are focused on behavioral studies of human visual perception, studying visual impairments in individuals with various neurodegenerative disorders, developing new neuroimaging techniques and/or MR compatible hardware.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We also know that the work of diversity and anti-discrimination extends past choices in hiring. We work every day to make our lab an equitable and productive space for everyone, regardless of their race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.

Principal duties and Responsibilities:

You will be a postdoctoral research fellow working directly with the PI. Your focus will be on data analysis and modeling with focus on revealing the fine-scale (columnar level) functional organization of visual areas and understanding their functions. In the later stages, you will be also involved in experimental design and data collection.

The study is expected to take 2-3 years. During this time, you will have a chance to work with multiple state-of-the-art ultra-high field (7T) scanners, available to us in the Martinos Center. You will also have a chance to collaborate with MR engineers, software developers and neuroscientists and clinicians at the Martinos Center.

Outside of your own projects, you will also be responsible for mentoring students and research technicians working on related projects. In the third year, you will be encouraged and supported to seek independent funding as you take the next step in your academic career.

Required Skills:

  *   Experience in fMRI data processing techniques
  *   Experience in biostatistics and data modeling
  *   Proficiency in working with MATLAB
  *   Comfortable using Linux environments and the terminal for running jobs non-interactively

Education:
PhD in either neuroscience or psychology. Previous experience working in a vision lab is not necessary, but will be highly valued.

Experience:

  *   Proficiency in Psychtoolbox
  *   Familiarity with Freesurfer and/or any other fMRI data analysis toolboxes

Please contact the PI at shahin.nasr at mgh.harvard.edu. Please attach your CV to the email.

Shahin Nasr, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor in Radiology
Harvard Medical School
https://mesovision.martinos.org/
The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.
Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.