[visionlist] PostDoc and PhD position on color vision in Giessen

Karl Gegenfurtner gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de
Tue Oct 12 05:07:47 -04 2021

A postdoctoral position and a PhD fellowship are available in Giessen,
Germany, to work on the ERC-funded project “An object-oriented approach
to color”. The successful candidates will join the team of Karl
Gegenfurtner at the Psychology Department of Giessen University. The lab
offers excellent facilities for studying visual perception and motor control,
and especially all aspects related to the perception of color.

Starting date is any time between January 1, 2022 and April 1, 2022.

We are part of a larger research group on perception and action with excellent
links to scientists within Europe and world wide (http://www.sfb-perception.de).
The group offers a stimulating, multi-national and multi-disciplinary research
environment for young scientists  (http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de). Giessen
is a small university town, located just 60 km north of Frankfurt, right at the center
of Germany.

The positions are for persons interested in color vision, ranging from low-level
aspects such as luminance and color discrimination, to color constancy and
color categories. We use complex natural (or virtual) environments as much
as possible. Methods include psychophysical experiments, deep learning,
neuroimaging, eye tracking and the study of behavior in Virtual Reality.

Recent work from my lab on these topics can be found here:
http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/karl/articles.html
and some recent lectures and talks here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/KarlGegenfurtner

A recent review of some of our work on color is given in
Witzel, C. & Gegenfurtner, K.R. (2018)
Color perception: objects, constancy, and categories.
Annual Review of Vision Science, 4, 475-499.

The PostDoc position is initially for 2 years, with the potential to be extended.
The PhD position is until August 2025.

Apply by November 2nd, 2021 via the online form
https://www.uni-giessen.de/karriere/stellenangebote/application
indicating reference number 540/06 for the PostDoc position,
and reference number 539/06 for the PhD position.

Informal inquiries can be sent by email to Karl Gegenfurtner
(gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de). Full applications should include a CV,
a statement of research interests, and the  names of up to 3 people
who could supply a letter of reference.

Best wishes,

Karl
--
Prof. Karl Gegenfurtner, Abteilung Allgemeine Psychologie
Justus-Liebig-Universität, Otto-Behaghel-Str. 10, 35394 Giessen
phone:  +49 641 9926100	 mailto:gegenfurtner at uni-giessen.de
fax:    +49 641 9926119	 http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/karl