[visionlist] Faculty positions available at the Wu Tsai Institute | Yale University

Turk-Browne, Nick nicholas.turk-browne at yale.edu
Tue Oct 12 21:50:12 -04 2021

Dear Colleagues,
I am writing to share information about an ongoing search for multiple faculty positions<https://apply.interfolio.com/93019> in the Wu Tsai Institute at Yale University, a new university-wide neuroscience initiative. We seek outstanding scientists from the fields of biology, psychology, cognitive science, data science, computer science, and engineering, among others. Women, veterans, people with disabilities, and members of underrepresented racial and ethnic groups or the LGBTQ community are especially encouraged to apply.
Founded by a historic gift, the Wu Tsai Institute<https://wti.yale.edu/> is dedicated to interdisciplinary understanding of how the brain powers cognition. The inclusion of diverse people and ideas is central to our mission, as is the open exchange and integration of scientific approaches and discoveries. We are seeking colleagues who align with these interests. Faculty identified through this search will receive an endowed chair and attractive start-up package, will join a growing community of ~100 faculty across Yale<https://wti.yale.edu/people/faculty>, and will have access to state-of-the-art lab space and core facilities in our new research building, as well as special funding mechanisms, training opportunities, and programs.
We are strongly committed to equity and inclusion. Our student body at the undergraduate and graduate levels is increasingly diverse and we seek to hire scholars who reflect this diversity in their research, teaching, and service. Faculty will also find excellent benefits, mentoring, and support, responsive to professional, dual career, childcare, and housing needs.
Please feel free to share this message and the full ad below with anyone you think might be interested. We also welcome nominations of candidates<https://yalesurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6ha2P9mppmkCMdw> we should contact directly to encourage an application. Review begins October 15 but will continue until positions are filled.
Best wishes,
Nick

Nicholas Turk-Browne, PhD
Director of Wu Tsai Institute
Professor of Psychology
Yale University

--

Assistant/Associate/Full Professor, Wu Tsai Institute and Partner Department(s)
Location: New Haven, CT

Description: The Wu Tsai Institute (WTI), a new university-wide neuroscience initiative at Yale University, invites applications for multiple endowed faculty positions at any rank to begin July 2022. The mission of WTI is to understand human cognition and explore human potential by sparking interdisciplinary inquiry. We seek outstanding scholars who will advance this mission across scales, species, and methods from a broad range of disciplines, including (but not limited to) neuroscience, biology, psychology, cognitive science, data science, computer science, and engineering. Preference will be given to candidates whose research bridges across disciplines. Successful candidates will receive tenure-track or tenured appointment(s) in one or more departments in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and/or School of Medicine. Applicants must have a PhD (or equivalent) at time of hire. We are dedicated to hiring, mentoring, and advocating for colleagues who will foster equity and excellence in our community through their research, teaching, and service. Plans to promote these values should be an integral part of the application, backed by a demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in educational, work, and research environments. Women, protected veterans, persons with disabilities, and members of underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.

Background: WTI was founded in 2021 by a historic gift from Joe Tsai and Clara Wu Tsai, bringing together advances from different subfields of neuroscience (molecular, cellular, systems, cognitive, computational) and connected disciplines to reveal fundamental truths about the mind through integrated study of the brain. WTI consists of three pillars that coordinate research activities from complementary perspectives: the Center for Neurodevelopment and Plasticity, the Center for Neurocognition and Behavior, and the Center for Neurocomputation and Machine Intelligence. WTI enables interdisciplinary collaboration and cooperation through co-mentored fellowships for postdocs, grad students, undergrads; shared facilities and services with the newest technologies; internal grants to promote disruptive ideas; and regular events and opportunities for researchers at any stage to learn new concepts and skills. WTI grounds integration across approaches in the common mathematical and statistical language of data science, toward new computational frameworks for cognition. WTI will succeed because of diversity in the backgrounds, identities, and perspectives of members, with efforts to confront inequity and create an inclusive environment woven into the fabric of every program and initiative. WTI will move into a cutting-edge home at 100 College Street in New Haven in late 2022, purpose-designed for modern science and maximal interaction and collaboration.

Qualifications: Applicants must have a PhD (or equivalent) at time of hire.

Application Instructions: Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2021 and will continue until the positions are filled. For questions, please contact Sharon Paulin at sharon.paulin at yale.edu<mailto:sharon.paulin at yale.edu>. Applicants should submit research statements (two documents, see below), mentoring and teaching statement, diversity statement, and curriculum vitae to: http://apply.interfolio.com/93019. If you are an applicant for a non-tenured position, we request three letters of recommendation (does not apply for tenured positions).

Application Materials:
• Application Form – Indicate your desired level of appointment (Assistant, Associate, Full), WTI Centers of interest, and broad area(s) of research.
• Research Contributions – Describe your most significant scientific discoveries and accomplishments to date. (2 pages max)
• Research Plans – Describe the focus and goals of your future research program in a resource-rich environment like WTI and how it aligns with the mission of WTI to understand human cognition. (2 pages max)
• Mentoring and Teaching – Describe your philosophy, experience, and plans for mentoring and teaching students. (1 page max)
• Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – Describe your understanding of the challenges facing historically underrepresented groups in science, as well as your experience, commitment, and ideas for addressing these inequities. (1 page max)
• Curriculum Vitae – Include your most recent CV with links to publications (or website).