[visionlist] Amiram Grinvald

UD K ehud.kaplan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:16:24 -04 2021

Amiram Grinvald, a long-time friend and colleague, has died in Israel.
His contributions to our field were numerous, and their impact will be
long lasting. First among those was his discovery (in 1986) of the
/intrinsic optical signal/, which allows (indirect) observation of
neural activity without the use of any dye. With this tool of Optical
Imaging, his lab discovered the now-famous pinwheel arrangement of
orientation selectivity in the primary visual cortex. The method has
spread to many laboratories and fields, and the approach is now often
used to guide and locate probes such as multi-contact electrodes. His
group then applied optical imaging to retinal research, where it is used
for both basic and clinical research and treatment. Amiram’s numerous
contributions brought him much fame and recognition, and he received
numerous prizes and awards, but he always remained down to earth, just
as he was as a young post-doc, when I first met him in Woods Hole. He
approached everything with great focus and intensity, and the persistent
pain in my right shoulder still attests to the fierceness with which we
played tennis together. He was passionate about everything he did-- from
science to eating anything that humans might eat somewhere on the
planet.   He will be greatly missed. image:

--
Ehud Kaplan, Ph.D. Visiting Professor Dept. of Philosophy & History of
Science Charles University, Prague & the National Institute of Mental