[visionlist] Perception Scientist position at Oculus Research

Marina Zannoli marina.zannoli at oculus.com
Wed Jan 18 17:50:16 EST 2017

Dear Vision Science community,

Oculus Research is looking for perception research scientists.

Two members from the Oculus Research Perception Science team will be attending the IS&T conference (01/29-02/02 in Burlingame, CA). If you are interested in opportunities in our team and would like to meet with us to learn more about open positions, please contact:

-          James Hillis (james.hillis at oculus.com)<mailto:james.hillis at oculus.com)>

-          Kevin MacKenzie (kevin.mackenzie at oculus.com<mailto:kevin.mackenzie at oculus.com>)

Perception is at the center of our research, as it informs our work in displays, optics, rendering, and practically every other area. As a Perceptionl Research Scientist at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you’ll be tackling the scientific challenges that define cutting-edge virtual and augmented reality, addressing heretofore-unanswered questions in vision science, displays, and perceptual psychology. This involves both applied and basic science, as they inform our research directions and identify opportunities for revolutionary experiences. We’re committed to a whole-system, multidisciplinary approach to perceptual research, and both collaborate with academic institutions and publish in peer-reviewed journals. Projects take advantage of internal resources in mechanical, electrical, optical, and software engineering, allowing us to confront scientific questions which cannot be addressed with existing equipment.

Responsibilities

  *   Research into perception and human factors, both in terms of basic science and how it informs other research and product directions
  *   Collaborate with both internal teams and academia in research to explore perceptual factors, define limits and specifications, and discover opportunities for revolutionary improvement in virtual and augmented reality displays and systems.
  *   Explore opportunities and requirements to create new virtual experiences and perform research necessary to deliver these.
  *   Collaborate with other researchers and engineers to identify and develop experimental systems which allow us to answer novel research questions, performing research of factors both in isolation and as part of an ecologically valid complete system.

Minimum Qualifications

  *   PhD and/or postdoctoral assignment in vision science, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, bioengineering, or related field
  *   Understanding of human sensory systems, including the ability to apply this model to novel situations and predict perception as well as motor responses
  *   Specialization in key areas such as image/video quality assessment, motion, color, and luminance processing, front end image encoding properties, multisensory integration, ophthalmic optics, eye movements valued
  *   Experience with experimental methodology, psychophysics, computational modeling
  *   Proven track record of achieving significant research results
  *   Interpersonal skills - cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
  *   Able to obtain work authorization in the US beginning in 2017

Preferred Qualifications

  *   Experience with user studies and human factors
  *   Experience with the design or analysis of optical and/or stereoscopic display systems
  *   Prior experience with MATLAB, R, Python, and/or C++

If you are interested in this position, please reach out to anyone on our team (contact information below) and apply online: https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/careers/a0I1200000JXkGqEAL/

--
Aaron Nicholls, team lead (aaron.nicholls at oculus.com<mailto:aaron.nicholls at oculus.com>)
James Hillis, perception scientist (james.hillis at oculus.com)<mailto:james.hillis at oculus.com)>