[visionlist] Simon Fraser University’s School of Interactive Arts and Technology (SIAT) invites candidates to apply to our graduate program

Bernhard Riecke ber1 at sfu.ca
Sun Feb 19 16:18:59 -05 2017

Simon Fraser University’s School of Interactive Arts and Technology
invites candidates to apply to our graduate program. page1image472
Apply now: http://www.sfu.ca/siat/grad/admissions.html
Application Deadline: March 14, 2017; note: Application fee waived
<https://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/blog/year/2017/02/AppFeeWaiver.html>
for 7 countries affected by U.S. travel ban
Learn more: http://www.sfu.ca/siat/grad/welcome.html

The School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT) is an
internationally recognized interdisciplinary school with a focus on
technology and the human experience. SIAT MSc., MA, and Ph.D. students
develop and apply innovative multi-disciplinary research methods to
explore the broader implications of advanced information and media
technologies. Guided by these studies, they design new technology and
media experiences that are responsive to individual, organizational, and
societal values. SIAT’s infrastructure includes state-of-the- art
teaching and research facilities at Simon Fraser University’s Surrey
campus, combined with the capabilities of our many university
collaborators and partner organizations in the public and private sectors.
Students admitted to our graduate program can expect to receive funding
for multiple years in the form of scholarships and or research and
teaching assistantships. SIAT graduate students are mentored in
interdisciplinary research methods, international academic publishing
and conference presentation, and curation and exhibition of media arts
both locally and abroad.Our program’s unique focus at the intersection
of media arts, science, and computing prepares graduates for diverse
careers in the technology sector and in academia. SIAT alumni hold
leading positions in industry and in tenure-track positions in
institutions around the world.

Our specialized areas of research include, but are not limited to the
following:
- Interactive Computing (visualization, human-computer interaction,
artificial intelligence, tangible interfaces, virtual reality, game
design and technology and other themes)
- Media, Visual Arts and Performance (performance technology,
interactive animation, interactive environments and installations, game
narrative, film and video, audio/music, digital curation, and other themes)
- Design (parametric design, sustainable design, interaction design,
game design, museum design, design for children and the elderly, and
other related themes)
- People (cognitive, perceptual, and social psychology, history,
anthropology and ethnography of media, chronic pain management, and
health data management)
- Science of Interaction uses the scientific method to develop and test
theories of human perceptual, cognitive, interactive, and communicative
performance that are used to design, prototype, and evaluate interactive
systems in their context of use.

Simon Fraser University (SFU) at Surrey is the University’s newest
campus located in the greater Vancouver region of British Columbia. This
region is home to one of the central nodes of Canada’s cultural
and entertainment industry and much of its digital media production. The
region’s rich cultural, natural and intellectual resources make it one
of the world’s most desirable places to live and work. SIAT works as a
unit of the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT), is a
member of many local, national, and international networks, and has
strong connections to leading companies.

Visit our website for more information on the admissions process
http://www.sfu.ca/siat/grad/admissions.html

Consider liking our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SIATSFU/
or follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/SIAT_SFU
to see what we are up to and learn about our latest news, research,
and exhibitions.

Dr. Bernhard Riecke, Associate Professor
Director of iSpaceLab & TEDxSFU license holder + project lead
School of Interactive Arts  & Technology (SIAT)
Simon Fraser University Surrey
web:www.iSpaceLab.com/Riecke <http://iSpaceLab.com>   www.sfu.ca/siat/people/faculty/bernhard-riecke.html
office: 2830 (2nd floor)  E-mail:ber1 at sfu.ca   phone:+1 778.782.8432