[visionlist] ECEM 2017: Submission Deadline extended 26.3.2017

Markus Hofmann mhofmann at uni-wuppertal.de
Tue Mar 7 11:20:29 -05 2017

Due to popular demand the poster and talk submission deadline for the European Conference on Eye Movements 2017 has been extended. The new deadline is March 26, 2017. Please find further news below – e.g. about the sponsoring deadline.

Conference information.

The 19th European Conference on Eye Movements, ECEM 2017, will take place from Sunday, August 20th (afternoon), to Thursday, August 24th, in Wuppertal, Germany.
Over its more than three decade long history, ECEM has grown to become the largest scientific meeting on eye movement research worldwide.  The conference brings together a vibrant community of researchers working towards a better understanding of eye movements, while also using them as a tool to study a wide range of topics in neuroscience, cognitive science and various fields of application.

Our goal is to promote communication and cooperation between participants from diverse areas such as neurophysiology, psychology, medical sciences, linguistics, computer science, human factors and many others. An important feature of ECEM is the presentation of state of the art equipment and software by manufacturers of eye movement recording systems.

Submission of contributions.

Submissions can be made at the conference website http://ecem2017.uni-wuppertal.de

Submissions can be made in three formats: talks in regular sessions, posters or contributions to symposia. Symposia submissions are already closed. All contributions to ECEM 2017 will be submitted through the ConfTool system. Please refer to the detailed information on the conference website.

Talks in regular conference sessions should present high quality, original, empirical research. Any work related to the study of eye movements and eye tracking from a neurobiological, psychological, clinical, computational or applied perspective can be submitted as an oral presentation. Each talk will be 20 min (15 min + 5 min discussion).

Posters are interactive presentations reporting empirical research on the same level of quality as oral presentations. The advantage of a poster presentation is the opportunity to engage in detailed individual discussions while presenting a project. We specifically encourage young researchers and students to submit their ongoing work in this format.

Decisions on the acceptance of contributions will be made on the basis of peer reviewing by a program committee led by Heiner Deubel. Members of this committee are Susana Martinez-Conde, Ulrich Ettinger, Stefan Everling and Antje Nuthmann.

Invited talks

We are especially pleased that an excellent group of researchers has agreed to give invited lectures at ECEM 2017:

Ben Tatler (University of Aberdeen, Scotland) https://activevisionlab.org <https://activevisionlab.org/>
Marisa Carrasco, (New York University, New York USA) https://sites.google.com/site/carrascolabnyu <https://sites.google.com/site/carrascolabnyu>
Debra Titone (McGill University, Montreal, Canada) www.psych.mcgill.ca/perpg/fac/titone/index.html <http://www.psych.mcgill.ca/perpg/fac/titone/index.html>
Karl Gegenfurtner (Giessen University, Germany) http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/karl <http://www.allpsych.uni-giessen.de/karl>
James Bisley, (UCLA, Los Angeles, USA) http://www.bri.ucla.edu/people/james-w-bisley-phd <http://www.bri.ucla.edu/people/james-w-bisley-phd>
Laure Pisella (CRNL, Lyon and INSERM, Paris, France) http://u864.lyon.inserm.fr/Members/LaurePisella <http://u864.lyon.inserm.fr/Members/LaurePisella>

Important dates

Submission for symposia                                                     	closed

Deadline for submission of talks or posters              		March 26, 2017

Notification of acceptance for talks or posters      			April 30, 2017

Registration opens                                                                  May 1, 2017

Special pricing of sponsor items until                         		May 1, 2017

Deadline for early registration                                         	June 1, 2017

Pre-conference workshops

The conference organizers are working with Kenneth Holmqvist (Lund University) to prepare a number of pre-conference workshops focusing on innovative methodological approaches to eye movement research. Edwin Dalmaijer, Gabe Diaz, Dennis Drieghe, Roy Hessels, Jacob Lund Orquin already confirmed to host workshops on topics like Psychopy, eye tracking in VR or in infants, and the usage of linear mixed effects models in eye movement analyses. Further, COGAIN workshops and symposia are going to be integrated in the ECEM2017 (www.cogain.org <http://www.cogain.org/>).

Conference venue and accommodation

The city of Wuppertal is located in western Germany, very close to Cologne and Düsseldorf.  There is ample opportunity for touristic traveling, with local attractions ranging from beer gardens in the old town, world famous music and dance theaters, all the way to medieval castles and long hiking trails in unspoiled nature. The romantic Rhine valley is just a short drive away.

The local organizing team has secured a large block of hotel rooms at special rates for the conference. Specific information is available on the conference website. In general, lodging in the area is moderately priced, but accommodation can become limited in the high summer season. We advise early hotel reservation.

Publication of abstracts

All abstract of accepted conference presentations will be published as special issue in the Journal of Eye Movement Research (Editor: Rudolf Groner, Bern). See here for the abstracts of ECEM 2015: https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/JEMR/article/view/2408 <https://bop.unibe.ch/index.php/JEMR/article/view/2408>.

Sponsoring

We cordially like to thank SR Research and Sensomotoric Instruments (SMI) for their generous sponsoring of the ECEM. The sponsorship of this excellent conference is a strong statement about these company’s expertise in and commitment to the field of Eye Movements. Potential future sponsors find further information under http://ecem2017.uni-wuppertal.de/sponsors.html <http://ecem2017.uni-wuppertal.de/sponsors.html>. As we have to finalize our budgeting plans, we now introduced a deadline for the special pricing of all sponsoring activities (1st of May). If you think of linking your company with ECEM 2017 and attending to the conference, please contact the organizers as soon as possible (ecem2017 at uni-wuppertal.de <mailto:ecem2017 at uni-wuppertal.de>, or +49 202 439 2340 / +49 202 439 2067).

Contact

Please feel free to distribute and forward this information to your colleagues. Send any queries, concerns, suggestions and other communication to: ecem2017 at uni-wuppertal.de <mailto:ecem2017 at uni-wuppertal.de>
We look forward to welcoming you in Wuppertal. On behalf of all involved in ECEM 2017: Ralph Radach (conference chair), Heiner Deubel (co-chair and head of the program committee), Christian Vorstius and Markus J. Hofmann (heads of the local organizing committee).