[visionlist] CFP: CVPR Workshop on Vision Meets Cognition: Functionality, Physics, Intentionality and Causality

Yixin Zhu yixinzhu.xjtu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 16:54:21 -05 2017

We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this message.

 Third Workshop on Vision Meets Cognition: Functionality, Physics,
Intentionality and Causality
                                                           FPIC at CVPR17

                                        *http://www.visionmeetscognition.org/
<http://www.visionmeetscognition.org/>*

                                               July 21, 2017 @ Honolulu, HI

                                             in conjunction with  CVPR 2017

                               Submission Full Papers (6-8 pages): May 1,
2017
                               Submission Extended Abstracts (1-2 pages): May
1, 2017

CALL FOR PAPERS

Although we've seen a recent boost of sensors in digital devices, e.g.,
virtual reality headsets, autonomous driving, smart home, IoT devices,
advanced algorithms for processing and handling visual data in the backend
are largely missing. One key challenge is that algorithms that can
understand images, human behaviors, and social activities from sensors
deployed in daily lives go beyond the traditional scope of image and scene
understanding, and they are expected to be capable of answering queries
much broader and deeper than “what is where”. The mission of this workshop
is to (a) identify the key domains in modern computer vision; (b) formalize
the computational challenges in these domains; and (c) provide promising
frameworks to solve these challenges.

In conjunction with CVPR 2017, our third Vision meets Cognition workshop
will bring together researchers from computer vision, computer graphics,
robotics and cognitive science, to advance computer vision systems going
beyond answering “what is where” in an image and building a sophisticated
understanding of an image about Functionality, Physics, Intentionality and
Causality (FPIC). In effect, these abilities allow an observer to answer an
almost limitless range of questions about an image using finite and
general-purpose models. In the meanwhile, we also want to emphasize that
FPIC is never meant to be an exclusive set of image and scene understanding
problems. We welcome any scholars who share the same perspective but are
working on different problems.

Submissions should be relevant to our workshop theme. Several key topics
are:
- Representation of visual structure and commonsense knowledge
- Recognition of object function / affordances
- Physically grounded scene interpretation
- 3D scene acquisition, modeling and reconstruction
- Human-object-scene interaction
- Physically plausible pose / action modeling
- Reasoning about goals and intents of the agents in the scenes
- Causal model in vision
- Abstract knowledge learning and transferring
- Top-down and Bottom-up inference algorithms
- Related topics in cognitive science and visual perception
- Applications of FPIC to augmented and mixed reality

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission Full Papers (6-8 pages) or Extended Abstracts (1-2 pages): May
1, 2017
Notification of Acceptance: May 10, 2017
Camera-ready Deadline: May 19, 2017

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

Yixin Zhu <http://yzhu.io/>, UCLA
Chengfanfu Jiang <http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~cffjiang/>, UPenn