[visionlist] 1977 ARVO talk by Naomi Weisstein

Patrick Cavanagh patrick_cavanagh at fastmail.fm
Fri May 26 16:46:55 -05 2017

Does anyone remember an ARVO talk by Naomi Weisstein in 1977 on moving phantom gratings (see below), on the top floor of the Holiday Inn in Sarasota, I believe. I am writing a chapter on the effect she presented and I hope to find others who were there and who remember the moment.

The results in the talk were also reported the article cited below, an extension of work by Tynan and Sekuler, adding a motion aftereffect test, and — this is the point of the chapter — an illusion of seeing a completed texture in the occluded central gap. She presented a movie, which I have, but the effect has not been replicated on video equipment.

Any memories would be appreciated.

Patrick Cavanagh

Weisstein, N., Maguire, W. & Berbaum, K. (1977). A Phantom-Motion Aftereffect. Science, 198, 955-958.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1745329