[visionlist] Bio / Neuroscience inspired pattern recognition (CFP) - PR Journal

Chabane Djeraba Chabane.Djeraba at univ-lille1.fr
Thu Jun 22 18:10:23 -05 2017

Bio / Neuroscience inspired pattern recognition

Aims and scope:
The general question addressed by the special issue is the latest research results obtained through the interaction of bio / neuroscience and pattern recognition fields benefitting both research areas. The fundamental point of the special issue is to study and investigate how bio / neuroscience inspired systems, including hardware and software, deal with problems directly related to pattern recognition (e.g., deep learning, representation learning, transfer learning, multi-task learning, and unsupervised learning, spike neural network). We seek to include in the special issue recent successful studies on pattern recognition incorporating ideas and paradigms from the field of neuroscience. We also seek contributions from where neuroscience-inspired algorithms for pattern recognition still fall behind the state-of-the-art in terms of speed and accuracy. We also cover areas where deeper connections are likely to be fruitful. For example, we would like to highlight how neuroscience driven simulations (either hardware or software based) suggest new directions, which offer real advances for pattern recognition. Note that we are not interested in papers that focus on the details of such hardware or software, but on how they simulate pattern recognition, based on biological and neuro-scientific principles.

Topics and guidelines:
The submission of papers making fundamental or practical contributions to the following topics is encouraged, but not necessarily limited to these topics:
•	deeper connections : between bio/neuroscience and pattern recognition
•	latest research results
•	new bio/neuroscience paradigms
•	Technical issues: representation learning, deep learning, transfer learning, multi-task learning unsupervised learning, spike neural network
•	fundamental issues

The special issue is an open call inviting papers from anybody working on bio/neuroscience inspired pattern recognition methods with particular stress on significant advances. All papers will undergo the same rigorous Pattern Recognition revision process. Please refer to the guidelines for authors of PR website for detailed instructions on paper format http://www.journals.elsevier.com/pattern-recognition/.

Important dates:
Submission deadline		       	  				        December 31, 2017
Final acceptance deadline                    			       	     	September 30, 2018

Submission:
The authors are invited to submit their manuscripts via Elsevier Editorial System (EES) - https://ees.elsevier.com/pr/. All papers should be submitted before the submission deadline. Authors select the correct article type when they submit their articles in EES. If authors select the wrong article type their paper may end up publishing in a regular issue and not the special issue. When submitting their papers, authors must select VSI:Bio/Neuro PR as the article type.

Guest editors:
Chaabane Djeraba, Professor, University of Lille, France, chabane.djeraba at univ-lille1.fr
Zhongfei Zhang, Professor, State University of New York at Binghamton, USA, zhongfei at cs.binghamton.edu
Farzin Deravi, Reader, University of Kent, UK, F.Deravi at kent.ac.uk