[visionlist] [cvnet] Re: Open Access responses

Lester Loschky loschky at ksu.edu
Sun Jul 2 02:44:19 -05 2017

Thanks for sharing that, PremNandhini!  It is a great history of how we got
to the troubled present in academic publishing.  It's extremely informative.

I think the author of the article, Stephen Buranyi, needs to write
a follow-up article, though, that goes into all the various types of open
access publishing, which he only minimally alludes to at the end.

Best,

Les

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:18 AM, Premnandhini Satgunam <
premnandhini at gmail.com> wrote:

> Long read, but almost like watching "The GodFather"!!!
>
> The legacy of scientific publishing!
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/27/profitable-business-
> scientific-publishing-bad-for-science?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
>
> -PremNandhini
>
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Tom Wallis <tsawallis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your response Marc. I've added Multisensory Research to the
>> list of journals that have provided a response to the community here
>> <https://tomwallis.info/2016/11/08/vision-journal-community-responses/>.
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Wallis, PhD
>> Project Leader, SFB 1233 Robust Vision
>> AG Bethge
>> Center for Integrative Neuroscience
>> Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
>> Otfried-Müller-Str 25
>> 72076 Tübingen
>> Germany
>> www.tomwallis.info
>>

>> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:14 PM, Marc Ernst <
>> marc.oliver.ernst at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> we have discussed this issue several times with Brill, the publisher of
>>> Multisensory Research. In response to our permanent queries they have
>>> updated their web-pages beginning of the year such that they now include
>>> more detailed descriptions on their open access policy. See e.g.
>>>
>>> http://www.brill.com/publications/journals/multisensory-research
>>>
>>> As editors we constantly try to push the publisher to better justify
>>> their cost models and to make their policy transparent as we know this is
>>> important for the community.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I will not be at VSS this year to discuss this further.
>>> However, I hope to see you next year.
>>>
>>> Enjoy & best,
>>> Marc
>>>

>>> Am 15.05.2017 um 22:12 schrieb Tom Wallis <tsawallis at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Thanks for pointing that out Andrew. I obviously missed it. I have also
>>> updated my website to reflect this response (
>>> https://tomwallis.info/2016/11/08/vision-journal-community-responses/).
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> --