[visionlist] Request for information: automated image analysis methods

Horowitz, Todd (NIH/NCI) [E] todd.horowitz at nih.gov
Thu Sep 14 15:48:20 -05 2017

Dear colleagues

I'm working on a review paper on the topic of the use of images in public health research. The research projects include collection of images from participants' mobile phones, from wearable or stationary cameras, or images from Google Street View/Google Earth. The research questions may involve physical activity, eating/nutrition, and/or the environments that these behaviors take place in. for example, participants might be asked to take a picture of their meal before they eat it so that researchers can assess dietary patterns.

The vast majority of these studies hand-code their data. It is my belief that there should be existing automated (or perhaps crowdsourced) image analysis methods that could be adapted for these purposes. I'm hoping my vision science colleagues could point me to some useful examples.

thanks
Todd

Todd S. Horowitz, Ph.D.
Program Director, Psychologist
Basic Biobehavioral and Psychological Sciences Branch
Behavioral Research Program
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences
National Cancer Institute
9609 Medical Center Drive, 3E-116
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: 240.276.6963