[visionlist] Request for information: automated image analysis methods

Horowitz, Todd (NIH/NCI) [E] todd.horowitz at nih.gov
Mon Sep 18 15:25:08 -05 2017

I received this email privately, but I thought it would be worth replying to the whole list(s).

There is a small, but growing field of researchers working on public health problems using large image collections. Sometimes these are images collected directly from participants for the purposes of the study; sometimes they are collected for the study by fixed cameras, or even drones;, sometimes they are scraped from existing collections of images on the web.

In particular, these are projects about obesity, physical activity, and the built environment. As an example, take a look at Cowburn, Gill, Anne Matthews, Aiden Doherty, Alex Hamilton, Paul Kelly, Julianne Williams, Charlie Foster, and Michael Nelson. “Exploring the Opportunities for Food and Drink Purchasing and Consumption by Teenagers during Their Journeys between Home and School: A Feasibility Study Using a Novel Method.” Public Health Nutrition 19, no. 01 (January 2016): 93–103. In this study, students in England wore cameras while going to and from school, and the researchers identified food purchase and consumption events, then checked them against GPS coordinates to see whether these events tended to take place in close proximity to the school.

I’m looking for examples of methods for automatically coding these types of data. I’m not looking for specific public health applications, because I don’t think there are many. Instead, I’d like to be able to point the public health researchers to resources from vision science that they could adapt to their specific interests.

Thanks
Todd