[visionlist] Postdoctoral fellowship in human intracranial electrophysiology: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and California Institute of Technology

Ueli Rutishauser urut at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 14 21:37:37 -05 2017

*** Apologies for multiple postings***

A postdoctoral position focused on investigating the neural mechanisms of
learning and memory is available in the Laboratory of Ueli Rutishauser at
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and Caltech.

The lab is broadly interested in human memory and decision making. We focus
on understanding how new long-term memories are formed, how existing
memories are retrieved to make choices, how memories for social stimuli
such as faces are formed, and on utilizing this knowledge to develop new
treatments for memory disorders. We utilize a combination of in-vivo
electrophysiology (single-neuron and local field potential recordings),
neuroimaging, computational and behavioral approaches. The focus of this
project is on single-neuron recordings in epilepsy patients to investigate
the role of theta-oscillations in coordinating activity during memory-based
decisions.

The applicant will join a vibrant and collaborative interdisciplinary
research team consisting of investigators at both Cedars-Sinai Medical
Center and the California Institute of Technology. We provide ample
opportunity for training with state-of-the art equipment, facilities,
analytical methods, and experimental techniques. Our work is funded by the
NSF, McKnight Endowment fund, and NIH, including a newly established NIH
BRAIN consortium between Cedars-Sinai/Caltech (Rutishauser, Mamelak,
Adolphs), University of Toronto (Valiante), Johns Hopkins University
(Anderson), and Harvard/Childrens (Kreiman). This provides ample
opportunity to work with large-scale single-neuron datasets to test model
predictions. This position is based at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles.

Candidates should have a recent PhD in neuroscience or related field with a
track-record of first-author publications. Strong programming (Matlab or
similar), data analysis, and statistics skills are required. Previous
electrophysiology experience is preferred. Excellent written and oral
English communication skills are required. Previous human intracranial EEG
and/or macaque electrophysiology experience is a strength.

The position is available as early as Nov 1st 2017, with a competitive
salary and benefits package commensurate with prior experience (NIH scale).
The position is available with an initial appointment for one year and
renewal based upon satisfactory performance. Cedars-Sinai is an equal
opportunity employer.

Applicants should send a CV, brief statement of research interests, and
contact information for 2-3 references to Ueli Rutishauser at
rutishauseru at csmc.edu. Information about the lab and a list of publications
can be found at www.rutishauserlab.org . Applications will be reviewed on
an ongoing basis.

--