[visionlist] [cvnet] Seeking advice on touchscreens

Matt Petoe MPetoe at bionicsinstitute.org
Thu Oct 5 17:22:38 -05 2017

Dear Gislin,

There is also a good range supplied by Huaxintouch;
http://www.huaxintouch.com/Product/index/cat_id/2

Existing touchscreen technologies range from resistive, to capacitive, to infrared beam scattering. Resistive has always been considered robust for public display screens (can handle bad treatment) but suffers from the need for the heavy pressure that you describe.

iPad screens are capacitive, which allows for a measure of applied touch pressure.

The infrared technology seems to be the default now for larger screens (above 15 inch). This supports multi-touch but, as you say, may sometimes register a false positive if the finger is near the screen but not yet touching.

We have been using a “Multi Touch Screen Overlay T-series Kit” from CycloTouch (https://www.cyclotouch.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=2506), but I believe this is rebranded from Huaxintouch. It has worked well, but needs to be clamped to an existing screen and would usually block access to the control buttons for the host screen. For that reason, we have ordered a large Philips commercial display (43BDL4051T). It’s in the mail, but now you have me worried that the touch sensitivity may be insufficient. I will let you know how it goes.

Two work arounds you have probably already considered; ensure sunlight is not hitting the screen, and provide audio feedback to the participant when their finger touch has been successfully registered.

Best
Matt