[visionlist] Three positions in adaptive optics at NEI/NIH

Tam, Johnny (NIH/NEI) [E] johnny.tam at nih.gov
Wed Dec 13 09:03:42 -05 2017

Three positions are available in adaptive optics retinal imaging at the NEI Intramural Research Program, NIH, in the laboratory of Johnny Tam. We are looking for highly-motivated people interested in contributing to our understanding of the cellular manifestation of retinal diseases. The lab is located in the NEI eye clinic and has a particular interest in studying the photoreceptor-retinal pigment epithelial-choriocapillaris complex in health and disease. We have multiple ongoing projects related to multi-modal adaptive optics retinal imaging but are open to the possibility of novel ideas.

1.	Postdoc Position #1. We are looking for an innovative postdoc who has a PhD in advanced optical microscopy, bioengineering, biophysics, or related discipline and is motivated to develop cutting-edge translational imaging applications using of a custom-built high-resolution adaptive optics retinal imager. Postdocs will have the opportunity to pursue an independent project related to high resolution cellular microscopy of the outer retinal cells, using both basic science and clinical imaging tools. Experience with advanced fluorescence microscopy and instrumentation will be viewed positively. Candidates will be expected to assist with design and building of optical instrumentation.

2.	Postdoc Position #2. We are looking for a postdoc who has a proven record of accomplishments working with adaptive optics optical coherence tomography (AO-OCT) systems who is interested in applying their skillset to clinical applications in the NEI Eye Clinic. Familiarity with optics, engineering, image acquisition, image processing, and working with human subjects will be viewed favorably. Postdocs will have the opportunity to pursue an independent project related to imaging the outer retinal bands at the cellular level in comparison to other adaptive optics modalities. Candidates will be expected to assist with design and building of optical instrumentation.

3.	Imaging Technician (BS level). We are looking for a detail-oriented technician who is interested in interfacing with a diverse patient population at the NEI eye clinic and in working with cutting-edge technology and data. The primary tasks will include interacting with clinical staff and patients, assisting with acquisition of imaging data from cutting-edge research instruments (such as adaptive optics ophthalmoscopes), assisting with aligning/maintaining custom-built optical setups, and organizing, curating, and processing data using novel software tools. Opportunities for independent research projects will be available. Applicants must demonstrate a passion for mastering highly-sophisticated techniques in a fast-paced collaborative team environment. Excellent communication and organizational skills are a high priority. Prior experience is not required.

The NEI eye clinic has a unique clinical research environment with a diverse patient population. For more details on Johnny Tam’s lab on Clinical and Translational Imaging, including a list of recent publications, please visit nei.nih.gov/intramural/translational-imaging and https://irp.nih.gov/pi/johnny-tam. To apply, submit a cover letter, full CV, and names and contact information for three references. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject of the email. All positions are available immediately. Inquiries about the position can be made directly to Johnny Tam (johnny at nih.gov).