[visionlist] Scientist I/II in modeling visual behavior in mice at Allen Institute

Stefan Mihalas stefanm at alleninstitute.org
Wed Jan 24 20:21:00 -05 2018

We are seeking to fill a position at the level of Scientist to work on computational and neuronal models of visually guided behavior. We use mouse vision as a model system. The Allen Institute for Brain Science is engaged in a major effort to quantitatively characterize the choices, states and neuronal activity during a set of visually guided behaviors. This position will focus on constructing simple models of behavior and neuronal activity, focused on understanding the computations implemented by the visual circuits. In addition, this position will also participate in team efforts of data analysis of both the behavioral and neuronal measurements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

  *   Construct models of computations during a visually guided behavior.
  *   Analyze how activities in the simulated networks related to the observed ones.
  *   Participate in team efforts to analyze behavioral data.
  *   Interact with groups performing simulations at other levels of resolution and with experimental groups.
  *   Maintain clear and accurate communication with supervisor and team members.
  *   Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS

  *   PhD degree in computational neuroscience, physics, mathematics, applied mathematics or related field.
  *   Strong background in scientific computing is required.
  *   Strong publication record.
  *   Strong background in scientific computing is required.
  *   Experience in computational neuroscience is preferred.
SCIENTIST I:
0-2 years postdoctoral experience in computational science
SCIENTIST II:
3+ years postdoctoral experience in computational science
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Ability to meet aggressive timelines and deliverables in a collaborative environment.
  *   Proven independent thinking and flexibility.
  *   Strong written and verbal communication skills
  *   Experience in pursuing research projects in collaborative fashion.
Our mission at the Allen Institute for Brain Science is to accelerate the understanding of how the human brain works in health and disease. By implementing a team science approach on a large scale, we strive to generate useful public resources, drive technological innovations and discover fundamental brain properties through integration of experiments, modeling and theory.

Stefan Mihalas
Assistant Investigator
Allen Institute for Brain Science
www.alleninstitute.org<http://www.alleninstitute.org/>