[visionlist] PhD position in Visual Circuits

Laura Busse busse at biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Jan 31 12:17:39 -05 2018

A PhD position is available in Laura Busse’s group at the Department of Biology II of the LMU Munich (http://www.neuro.bio.lmu.de/members/system_neuro_busse/busse_l/index.html <http://www.neuro.bio.lmu.de/members/system_neuro_busse/busse_l/index.html>). We study the neural circuits of visual perception in awake, behaving mice, where we combine electrophysiological recordings using cutting edge multi-electrode recordings techniques with genetic tools for circuit manipulation.

The PhD position is part of the DFG-funded Priority Programme „Computational Connectomics” (SPP 2041), is offered for 3 years, and will be done in collaboration with Dr. Tatjana Tchumatchenko <http://www.tchumatchenko.de/> (www. http://www.tchumatchenko.de <http://www.tchumatchenko.de/>) at the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research in Frankfurt. The project combines questions from neurobiology and computational neuroscience. It will investigate contrast invariance in the dorsolateral geniculate nucleus (dLGN) of the thalamus and primary visual cortex in populations of excitatory and inhibitory interneurons. The successful candidate will perform extracellular recordings and optogenetics in mice, use quantitative data analysis and collaborate with our theory partner in Frankfurt on theoretical network analyses. The project requires a strong interest in visual neurophysiology, as well as computational modelling, and the ability to work in a distributed team. Programming skills are necessary. Interested candidates are welcome to establish contact via email to busse at bio.lmu.de <mailto:busse at bio.lmu.de>. Applications will need to go through the LMU Graduate School of Systemic Neuroscience (GSN, http://www.gsn.uni-muenchen.de/index.html <http://www.gsn.uni-muenchen.de/index.html>). The deadline for applications is February 15.