[visionlist] CfP: Topology, geometry, and function (workshop & seminar in Riga)

Jurgis Skilters jurgisskilters at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 15:15:11 -05 2018

Call for Participation & Papers

*‘Topology, geometry, and function*‘

Workshop / Seminar on
topology and geometry of information visualization

2018, June 1 and 2,

Laboratory of Perceptual and Cognitive Systems, Faculty of Computing,

University of Latvia, Riga, Latvia

In our workshop we will discuss the ways geometric, topological, and
functional principles shapes human visuo-spatial perception and impacts the
perception of information visualization. We will also explore the impacts
of spatial abilities on learning. Results of several recent studies from
our Lab will be presented in detail.

In our workshop we will focus and welcome submissions
on the following topics:

·      features of processing topological and geometric information in
respect to information visualization;

·      different forms of geometry and their impact on visuo-spatial
processing;

·      strength of invariants in geometric and topological structures;

·      similarity and structural alignment

·      generation of units in perception - topological or geometric?;

·      methodological aspects (formal modeling of geometric and
topological systems,
morphometry, issues of data collection and analysis etc.).

Plenary keynote speakers include:

Prof. Kenny Coventry, FBPS, FRSA, Head of the School of Psychology,
University of East Anglia, UK
Prof. Cees van Leeuwen, Laboratory for Perceptual Dynamics, KU Leuven,
Belgium

Partners: University of Latvia Foundation, Accenture

Deadlines:

Application for participation: a CV to be sent to lpcs at lu.lv (Deadline:
March 20)

Application for presenting a talk: 250 words abstract to be sent to
lpcs at lu.lv (Deadline: March 15)

Notifications of acceptance will be send within a week from receiving the
application.

More information:
https://www.lpcs.lu.lv/upcoming-events/

This is the closing event of Lab’s project
„Topological Modelling of Structural Alignment: A Topological and
Experimental Analysis of Information Visualisation”
The project is supported by University of Latvia Donor SIA "Mikrotīkls".

Foundation of the University of Latvia is administrator of this donation.