[visionlist] 3-Year PhD Scholarship in Medical Image Analysis, Computer Vision, and Machine Learning

Gustavo Carneiro gustavo.carneiro at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Apr 9 03:57:41 -05 2018

3-Year PhD Scholarship in Medical Image Analysis, Computer Vision, and Machine Learning
Australian Institute for Machine Learning
School of Computer Science,
University of Adelaide, Australia

We are accepting expression of interest for a 3-year PhD scholarship within the Australian Institute for Machine Learning (AIML). AIML conducts state-of-the-art research in medical image analysis, computer vision and machine learning. The School of Computer Science at the University of Adelaide hosts the largest computer vision and image analysis research group in Australia, with over 60 members including academics, research staff and students.  We work on a mixture of fundamental and commercially oriented research projects in medical image analysis, computer vision, and machine learning.  We have a very consistent track record of publications in the top venues.

We have recently secured funding to conduct research in the automatic discovery and visualisation of biomarkers to predict 5-year mortality from chest CTs. Likely research areas will include: Bayesian deep learning, reinforcement learning, meta learning, uncertainty in deep learning, learning with noisy training sets, and large-scale classification.  The project is run by A/Prof. Gustavo Carneiro<https://cs.adelaide.edu.au/~carneiro/> (main investigator), Prof. Lyle Palmer<https://researchers.adelaide.edu.au/profile/lyle.palmer>, Prof. Andrew Bradley<http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/bradleap/>, Assist.Prof. Jacinto Nascimento <http://users.isr.ist.utl.pt/~jan/> and Dr. Luke Oakden-Rayner<https://lukeoakdenrayner.wordpress.com/>.

We are seeking an excellent candidate with a masters or honours degree (first class, or second class div A) in computer science, bioengineering or a related field. The successful applicant should carry out theoretical and practical work on medical image analysis, machine learning and computer vision methods.  For international candidates, please make sure you meet the minimum English language proficiency entry criteria, described here: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/graduatecentre/forms/admission/docs/hdr-english-language-requirements-2017-2018.pdf.

The expression of interest, including curriculum vitae, list of publications if applicable, transcripts, and names of two references with their e-mail addresses, must be sent by email in PDF format to Gustavo Carneiro (gustavo.carneiro at adelaide.edu.au) by May 30, 2018.

Gustavo Carneiro
Associate Professor
School of Computer Science
The University of Adelaide

The University of Adelaide CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
The University of Adelaide ABN Number 61 249 878 937